• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (4 Viewers)

18. Common Crane 10 of them flew over my garden .

Help ..since two crows are investigating again the magpies long term nest high in tree . Looking with binc I can see one crow is hooded with black head and wings the back is grey the other crow looks all black .Are they male and female hooded crows ? There are several others flying around near look like carrion crows but not sure are the two often together ?

Last edited:
Well spotted halftwo....just around the gills with all this rain!!
15#Collard Dove
16#Short eared Owl
17#Feral Pigeon

#16 sneaked in quietly there! Only ever seen one from a garden - and not this one! But there's a chance as they breed a couple of miles away. As do LEOs.

19. Hooded Crow ??

Re my question about half hour ago I've now found a good site on internet about the differences with crows.

Last edited:
That's a really rare bird in your part of France Brenda (Italy is the nearest place they breed, a few come in winter to Var and Alpes-Maritimes but not usually any further west). Does it match the illustrations of Hooded Crow perfectly, I'm wondering if it might be a hybrid Carrion/hooded Crow? Watch out for local twitchers peering into your garden if it's a bonafide Hoodie!! ;)

That's a really rare bird in your part of France Brenda (Italy is the nearest place they breed, a few come in winter to Var and Alpes-Maritimes but not usually any further west). Does it match the illustrations of Hooded Crow perfectly, I'm wondering if it might be a hybrid Carrion/hooded Crow? Watch out for local twitchers peering into your garden if it's a bonafide Hoodie!! ;)

Could only see the back and side not front of bird black head ,grey back, right wing black thought left wing grey, is that possible ? The other crow with it was black. I had quite good view but as you will realise couldnt hold the binns up long! Been checking illustrations until today I didnt know of hybrid Carrion/hooded crow! Will be in touch further if I see again.

Richard I havent seen any crows since tuesday but keep looking , must been some type of hybrid crow , can I count that as a different crow or not ?
Winter has arrived here now but not like where you are ! Tuesday was a very wintery day , today a much milder morning .
Will send you a message .

An amazing sight of a

Dipper

flying up the valley above tree height. I don't recall seeing one ever flying so high up before!

An amazing sight of a

Dipper

flying up the valley above tree height. I don't recall seeing one ever flying so high up before!

Well done H! I keep looking across the field in front of our house to the line of trees where a little stream flows - I've seen a Dipper down there so it's feasible, I feel most encouragé by your sighting, you jammy !!!****

Brenda, we can't count hybrids really, I've got up to three hybrid Italian/ House Sparrows, I'd love to add them to my list (especially as I'm not seeing anything new lately:C).
Still, it sounds like a Hooded Crow from what you described so it's got my vote:t:

So, halfway through January, it's been mostly the usual suspects in the garden so far, with the less common visitors being the not-so-common nuthatch and chaffinch both turning up on New Year's Day (but not since) and then a fly-over skein of Canada Geese yesterday.

So far, I'm at 16 garden species:

1. Robin
2. Starling
3. Woodpigeon
4. Carrion crow
5. Blackbird
6. Blue tit
7. Great tit
8. Nuthatch
9. Chaffinch
10. House sparrow
11. Dunnock
12. Black-headed gull

(all on NY's day)

13. Magpie
14. Coal tit
15. Feral pigeon/Rock dove

16. Canada goose

QUOTE=halftwo;3340731]An amazing sight of a

Dipper

flying up the valley above tree height. I don't recall seeing one ever flying so high up before![/QUOTE]

Quality spot! I have the river Stour within 45mtrs, would have to be high to catch a glimpse, to be honest never seen one in that area of Stour, but you never know...

So, halfway through January, it's been mostly the usual suspects in the garden so far, with the less common visitors being the not-so-common nuthatch and chaffinch both turning up on New Year's Day (but not since) and then a fly-over skein of Canada Geese yesterday.

So far, I'm at 16 garden species:

1. Robin
2. Starling
3. Woodpigeon
4. Carrion crow
5. Blackbird
6. Blue tit
7. Great tit
8. Nuthatch
9. Chaffinch
10. House sparrow
11. Dunnock
12. Black-headed gull

(all on NY's day)

13. Magpie
14. Coal tit
15. Feral pigeon/Rock dove

16. Canada goose

Never seen a Starling in six years from the Garden... once over you wouldn't dare put your washing out for them lol!

An amazing sight of a

Dipper

Brilliant garden bird H! It'll never happen here.

Two more:

34) Great Black-backed Gull
35)Lesser Black-backed Gull

Last edited:
I thought I might get one singing from here & possibly exploring the side streams up the valley sides, but never expected to see one flying.

Ei, given all water on my land is frozen probably half a metre thick now, it'd take a Dipper with a pneumatic drill to be brave enough to venture my way :)

Methinks you're exaggerating a bit there 3:) test it and I'll make a prediction of 20 cm frozen soil water depth, and perhaps a bit more, but not 50 cm, on ponds :t:

Methinks you're exaggerating a bit there 3:) test it and I'll make a prediction of 20 cm frozen soil water depth, and perhaps a bit more, but not 50 cm, on ponds :t:

Record thickness for lakes in this area is 78 cm ... no real idea what it is now, but I saw some guys having fun on one lake a few days ago driving their Mercedes in big circles, spinning like a ballerina.

Given the temperatures have been sitting at minus 20 for quite some while now (and I see a forecast for minus 27), it is certainly think enough for me to not worry when prancing around on it. Probably around 25-30 cm (water, not soil) in reality at the moment - I will ask some of those nutters that bore holes and try to fish all day.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back