• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Happy New 60mm ED Owner (1 Viewer)

amclane

Right off the bat I want to make sure that everyone knows that I have NO connection with this vendor, other than as a one-time customer, highly satisfied...

Anyway, I was Google-ing my way around the 'net in search of a bargain price on a Fieldscope III when I stumbled upon Sierra Trading Post. They appear to trade in closeouts, odd-lots, and refurbished goods.

Willing, as I was, to bet on their very liberal product warranty, I bought one of their factory-refurbished ED Fieldscopes, 20-60x, for less than $600.

The only defect was a very minor scratch on the objective's coating, three little pits, barely visible without magnification.

There was also a 90-day factory warranty in addition to the vendor's blanket lifetime return policy.

Totally satisfactory!

--allan

amclane said:
The only defect was a very minor scratch on the objective's coating, three little pits, barely visible without magnification. --allan

Congratulations, you got yourself a good deal! And as for those defects, most of the time you will not notice anything at all. At "best" if you look at a clear sky or a uniformly white wall. I have a major scratch (from "cleaning" with a dirty shirt) on the eyepiece of my Leica 8x32 binoculars, and I often wonder why it barely affects my view!

That 20-60x eyepiece is really great, though it has a somewhat narrow FOV. I originally bought my EDIII with the then only available 20-45x zoom, and that never fully satisfied me. So it's only after getting the 20-60x that I am really happy with this scope.

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
So it's only after getting the 20-60x that I am really happy with this scope.

I have just received a new 20X wide eyepiece and what a nice view! Generous eye relief and less critical focussing make for a very pleasant experience.

--allan

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back