• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier ED X wins BBR birding award? (2 Viewers)

Bleemus

I am looking to upgrade my cheap $79 Bushnell bins and read a bunch of reviews. The BBR guy on YouTube says the Hawke Frontier ED X won hands down comparing them to bins that cost twice as much.

Is he a reliable source of reviews? Anyone with Frontier ED X experience?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

I have the Frontier ED-X 8x32 and they are excellent bins and are not far off my Swarovskis for clarity of image

I have owned the 10 x 32 and now have the 10 x 42. I have owned a lot of Frontiers. I would say these are only very slightly better than the MK II's. Against my EL's they perform very well indeed and I don't give a stuff if I knock em around a bit. In what must be close to 20 pairs over the years I have never experienced a single issue/fault and with their no quibble guarantee it offers some gives peace of mind. Incredible performance when you consider the cost. If I have one thing I'm not too sure about is the warmth of colours, they appear very vivid where the Swaro offers a much more neutral image. Some might like that.

I am looking to upgrade my cheap $79 Bushnell bins and read a bunch of reviews. The BBR guy on YouTube says the Hawke Frontier ED X won hands down comparing them to bins that cost twice as much.

Is he a reliable source of reviews? Anyone with Frontier ED X experience?

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Here's a new review from Allbinos which says they compare to other bins in the same price range. Don't know about BBR but best to look through them yourself if you can. Personally I don't like the look of the strap lugs which seem to stick out a lot from the sides of the binocular.

https://www.allbinos.com/350-binoculars_review-Hawke_Frontier_ED_X_8x42_review.html

I bought a pair of Frontier ED X 8x42 based on the recommendation of BBRs 2019 award. And, despite the snobbishness of some on this forum towards his site, he gives a fair appraisal of what non bino nerds value.

Despite subsequent access to Zeiss Conquest 10x32 and Swarovski EL10x32s at two and four times the price respectively, the Hawke gives me the most satisfaction with its views. I love it - clear, bright and sharp with good field of view, and I use it daily. To my eyes, there's no way the other two makes offer a two or four times better view - the extra cost is not worth it. Hawke's lifetime warranty is a bonus.

And the icing on the cake is that the smoothness of the focus is the best of all of them.

The only caveat is that whilst the 42s have excellent eye relief, the 32s may not have quite enough if you need glasses. Check first.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back