• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sensor cleaning (1 Viewer)

graham catley

I have managed to get away with a blower brush to clean my sensor for 2 years but the 1DMkII now seems to have 3 resilient spots of dust in the upper half of the sensor---I was wondering what method is currently in favour for dealing with same amongst regular cleaners?

graham catley said:
I have managed to get away with a blower brush to clean my sensor for 2 years but the 1DMkII now seems to have 3 resilient spots of dust in the upper half of the sensor---I was wondering what method is currently in favour for dealing with same amongst regular cleaners?

I use Lens-pens and Arthur Morris' instructions which work really well - never felt comfortable with fluids on electronics ;)

Birds as Art

Have you taken a photo of a plain, pale wall or the sky at f32? This will show you how much dust there really is on your sensor.

Hi I had the same problem and used the tutorials found at http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=tutorials I then purchased a Digi-Pad starter swab kit from http://www.warehouseexpress.com/ these cleaning swabs are sized to a specific cameras CCD.
Be warned there are plenty of warnings on various cleaning methods, I choose this one and found it worked very well on my bodies. As with all DIY cleaning, its undertaken at your own risk and probably outside the manufactures guidelines.
As it happens the CCD's once cleaned have remained clean and anything since has been removed by a blower brush so still have 90% of the starter kit left for future emergencies...
Happy Christmas
Steve

I use the sensor sweep from copperhill this is a brush simular to the invisible dust brush but at 1/5 of the price £11 inc shipping from USA.Work very well have not tried a wet method yet.

Sensor

Alot is said about cleaning the sensor, I've cleaned my old Canon 20d lots of times using Hurricane blower & DIGI PADS with eclipse cleaning fluid with no trouble at all very easy, most of it is scare tactics, also now have a Kenro Pro Air Duster kit which is superb...

Blowers are great until it comes to sticky dust particles and the only way to remove them is by using Swabs Digi pads, and everyone will have problems with dust at sometime.

Dean...

I'm not advising that anyone do what I do but I use Woolworths Diamond ultra clear cellotape - it's the right width for my Nikon sensor and is easy to use even outdoors.
Tear some off and apply it to the sensor with a Pecpad blade - peel off.
I've been doing this for a year with no ill effects.

Brave, thought it would have left glue from the tape, well if it works for you ok & cheap would not fancy this method myself

Dean Eades said:
Brave, thought it would have left glue from the tape, well if it works for you ok & cheap would not fancy this method myself

In my experience there's no residue - I change lenses mainly outdoors in a field and residue would have shown itself in more frequent cleaning which it hasn't.
I tested it on glass first and found nothing.
Still not advising anyone to try this method though - it works for me and is very convenient if a shower of pollen invades the camera.

mw_aurora said:
I use Lens-pens and Arthur Morris' instructions which work really well - never felt comfortable with fluids on electronics ;)

Birds as Art

Have you taken a photo of a plain, pale wall or the sky at f32? This will show you how much dust there really is on your sensor.

Is this the same LensPen Pro of which I just bought 3 of the smaller version? the instructions are cunningly not given on the AM site for financial gain---has anyone actually made them public?---surely it is in the public interest just like it would be to copy software if anyone dared to do such a thing

graham catley said:
Is this the same LensPen Pro of which I just bought 3 of the smaller version? the instructions are cunningly not given on the AM site for financial gain---has anyone actually made them public?---surely it is in the public interest just like it would be to copy software if anyone dared to do such a thing

Not sure of your point Graham...isn't he just trying to earn money the same as the rest of us...or do you work for free?
Also, having worked for a good few years in the software industry, it really annoys me that people think it is fine to pirate software - you wouldn't come round and steal my TV would you?
I tell you what, I'll take a load of your photos from your website and send them to magazines etc for free.

Rant over...think I removed all of the offending words before posting...

Graham,

I agree with Steve on this, once the CCD has had its initial clean, then the alarming rate that dust is attracted does seem to diminish.

You have an expensive camera, wouldn’t you feel safer to get it back to Canon for the first clean?

We are lucky in the south, as it’s a short drive up the A3 to Kingston for Nikon and they will clean the camera for you.

pe'rigin said:
Graham,

I agree with Steve on this, once the CCD has had its initial clean, then the alarming rate that dust is attracted does seem to diminish.

You have an expensive camera, wouldn’t you feel safer to get it back to Canon for the first clean?

We are lucky in the south, as it’s a short drive up the A3 to Kingston for Nikon and they will clean the camera for you.

from what I seem to gather from various web sites cleaning by the manufacturer is certainly no guarantee that a proper job will be done and it not only costs a lot but takes for ever---looking at the Warehouse Express web site it is also apparent that cleaning equipment is not exactly cheap---£75 for two small brushes for a certain firm and up to £200 for a kit--now that is jumping on the needy.
Having looked back at many photos taken with my 20D and 30D I noticed a bit of dust on some but nothing like the amount on the IDII which I have only had for about 3 months---is this model much more inclined to attract dust than the cheaper ones?

mw_aurora said:
Not sure of your point Graham...isn't he just trying to earn money the same as the rest of us...or do you work for free?
Also, having worked for a good few years in the software industry, it really annoys me that people think it is fine to pirate software - you wouldn't come round and steal my TV would you?
I tell you what, I'll take a load of your photos from your website and send them to magazines etc for free.

Rant over...think I removed all of the offending words before posting...

But AM was told the process for free! quote
On the Silver Salmon Creek trip Robert O'Toole offered to clean a few folks sensors with his Lens Pen Combo kit. It took him seconds and the results were amazing. He provided me details and I immediately purchased 300 Lens Pens Combo Kits. Before I ordered the Lens Pens I learned that a major camera manufacturer purchases huge number of Lens Pens each month to use for sensor cleaning.

Just found the instructional Video on the Lenspen web site at http://www.lenspen.com/403/377/

Last edited:
graham catley said:
But AM was told the process for free! quote
On the Silver Salmon Creek trip Robert O'Toole offered to clean a few folks sensors with his Lens Pen Combo kit. It took him seconds and the results were amazing. He provided me details and I immediately purchased 300 Lens Pens Combo Kits. Before I ordered the Lens Pens I learned that a major camera manufacturer purchases huge number of Lens Pens each month to use for sensor cleaning.

Just found the instructional Video on the Lenspen web site at http://www.lenspen.com/403/377/
Graham cant seem to get the instructional video to work have downloaded the flash player as well but it still wont run.Are these use it once and throw away.

Graham,

I can’t tell you about Canon costs, as I have Nikon. But, you can take the cameras up to them and wait for them to be cleaned. I agree that there’s no guarantee that you will get a proper job, but at least they are liable if anything goes wrong. Touch wood, everything has always been perfect for me.

Ragna said:
Graham cant seem to get the instructional video to work have downloaded the flash player as well but it still wont run.Are these use it once and throw away.

the video did take a while to start but it ran OK on my machine---the Sensorklean sounds to be very similar to the normal lenspen but with a different shaped tip to the cleaner---they are multi use with the cleaning stuff! being added when you twist the tip in the cap---7day shop are selling them for £3.99 at the moment and they claim to be the only UKish distributor, certainly no UK distributor is listed on the Lenspen web site

The first clean is free, do not forget the postage and package which you pay for ???
Some months ago I ordered a new Camera which was full of dust particles so be very cautious on checking this and also for missing pixels

As I have already mentioned do not worry about dust as this is easily sorted

www.intemos.com do have cleaning kits,and they run an easy to use video on their website,also explicit instructions are sent with each order.They have the swabs which can be used dry or with their own special fluid. I use their products and have successfully cleaned all my cam sensors.I takes me a couple of goes before the sensor is completely clear,but have never damaged the sensors.
Yes ,one can have a free sensor clean(within the 1st year of purchase),all one pays for is the pp one way.

graham catley said:
flooking at the Warehouse Express web site it is also apparent that cleaning equipment is not exactly cheap---£75 for two small brushes for a certain firm and up to £200 for a kit--now that is jumping on the needy.

Not sure what your looking at the Digi Pad starter kit I bought from warehouse express was and still is £12.95 for 5 pads and the fluid and only used 1 in 5 months!!

Happy Christmas

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back