• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

florida--mississippi kite? (1 Viewer)

brunop

taken a few days ago at corkscrew by a friend:

Attachments

• dunker bird.jpg
    dunker bird.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
That picture is awfully small on my monitor. If possible, could you post a crop (I know, that may not be possible).

Niels

Wouldn't be January a bit early for such a long-range migratory species? Or are there any this early records?

Wouldn't be January a bit early for such a long-range migratory species? Or are there any this early records?

Good point! If this was taken in January, its far more likely a Red-shouldered. A pale Red-should. was my first impression but after looking at some photos of perched Miss. Kite I couldn't discount it from the image shown. Nevertheless, if this was taken this winter, my vote is for Red-should.

thanks! after staring at it for awhile, i'm inclined toward red-shoulder as well. it was taken with a point and shoot camera.

I concur with Red Shouldered Hawk. In my experience the form of RS Hawk that occurs in South Florida is very light colored, particularly the head (sort of like a blond rather than a brunette) and chest. In bright light they can look very pale.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back