• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

P900 or FZ1000 (1 Viewer)

EK_Birds

Good afternoon all 😀

During this last week of self isolation fun, I've had more time to look at the bird feeder activity. Also seen lots of great photos of garden birds and have decided to have a go !

After researching what is out there and what I want to do, I've narrowed it down to the Nikon P900 and Panasonic FZ1000. Both are available online for approximately £350 used.

I'll be using almost exclusively for garden bird shots, either at the feeders or on the ground seed. No expert and not expecting to become a world class photographer, but it would be nice to get shots on something other than a Samsung mobile phone !

Any particular reason I should go for one of these models over the other? Currently leaning towards the Nikon due to the larger zoom, but happy to take on board any advice.

Thanks for your time everyone :t:

If you are frequently taking pictures in good light then the added zoom would have the day. If you frequently get dark overcast days, then the larger sensor on the FZ would be my choice.

Niels

If you are frequently taking pictures in good light then the added zoom would have the day. If you frequently get dark overcast days, then the larger sensor on the FZ would be my choice.

Niels

West coast of Scotland, not known for constant sunshine 😂

Thanks though mate, I appreciate your input :t:

The P900 is 400mm f/5 at 16MP (measured on my girlfriend's camera), the FZ1000 is 400mm f/4 at 20 MP. yes, the specs on the FZ1000 are are little bit better here (f/4 vs f/5 is slightly under twice the light, about 2/3 of a stop?), so the Nikon would be at, say ISO 160 where the FZ1000 would be at ISO 100. I'm not sure how the 16MP Nikon sensor compares to the FZ1000's 20MP sensor in terms of ISO performance. Maybe 1/3 of a stop worse? Maybe the same?

In any case, at equivalent maximum focal length of the FZ1000, I don't think the f-stop difference is much. Now, if you go to 2000mm and try shoot in the same light, you'll be at f/8, or only 25% of the light, and those two stops would be a big difference.

I've never used the FZ1000, so cannot compare it to the P900.

Marc

The sensor size of the p900 is 1/2.3" (6.17 x 4.55 mm) while the FZ1000 has a 1 inch sensor. That should account for something in iso sensitivity.

Niels

The sensor size of the p900 is 1/2.3" (6.17 x 4.55 mm) while the FZ1000 has a 1 inch sensor. That should account for something in iso sensitivity.

Niels

Just to expand on what Niels wrote.

The Panasonic's 1" sensor is 13.2x8.8 mm, 116 square mm versus 28 square mm for the Nikon's 1/2.3" sensor. See:

http://photoseek.com/2013/compare-d...ame-35mm-aps-c-micro-four-thirds-1-inch-type/

So the pixel on the Nikon is about 1.75 millionth of a square mm, versus 5.8 for the Panasonic, a third the size. The amount of light each pixel receives is dependent on the pixel area. That makes the Nikon more susceptible to image noise, something most apparent in bad light light when the sensor is trying to use every photon.
That said, the Nikon's reach is really a wonderful feature and your region offers lots of opportunities to use it.

My main reason for saying the P900 is if you you crop the FZ to match the FOV/reach of the P900 the back ground can look awfull

Hi,

Any particular reason I should go for one of these models over the other? Currently leaning towards the Nikon due to the larger zoom, but happy to take on board any advice.

I have used an FZ1000 quite extensively (unfortunately, it died a while ago, and I didn't get around to having it repaired), and one feature that I like very much about it is that the autofocus is very quick and precise, and works quite well even for birds in flight.

That might make it easier to get good pictures in your garden too, as I've heard the P900's autofocus is a bit on the slow side, and even garden birds often move around quite lively.

Especially if available light is a concern, not only the FZ1000's bigger sensor will be a bonus, but also the autofocus (as autofocus speed and possibly reliability also depend on available light).

However, the FZ1000 does not have the (nominal) "reach" of the P900, so maybe you could make an estimate of what your normal shooting distances might be, as this would help to put the two cameras in the proper context.

Regards,

Henning

Hi all,

Thanks for all your input on this, greatly appreciated :t:

After thinking I could spend forever going back and forward on this and never come to a decision, I have purchased the Panasonic FZ1000. It's being delivered tomorrow, so I can have a bit of a play about with it and then put it to use at the weekend.

I'm also pretty certain that me buying a camera means it will be miserable weather from the weekend onwards for a few days at least 3:)

I'll put some pics in here and in the Garden Feeding thread over the next week or so. Please be kind !!

Good choice. For garden birds you're going to be close enough that the FZ1000 will do fine and will benefit from the better image quality of the larger sensor. Because of the large sensor size you have more flexibility to crop in closer without compromising the image quality too much as well. Both cameras are great and amazing for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back