• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stuffed Birds on Ebay (1 Viewer)

Is Harshit mis-spelt?
"Sellers need to ensure that they have the necessary government permits to sell these items suggests that eBay has no interest in these permits. Also, if they do have these permits that they are not interested in, then that is fine. Well done eBay.
Paul

Is Harshit mis-spelt?
"Sellers need to ensure that they have the necessary government permits to sell these items suggests that eBay has no interest in these permits. Also, if they do have these permits that they are not interested in, then that is fine. Well done eBay.
Paul

I'd guess at this being an ebay, Indian, call centre employee.

Ebay should be held more accountable, some of the species being sold by one seller, are simply not kept in captivity as he insists they are, anyone know a falconer with a Marsh Harrier?

I have no idea, how this accountability could be achieved, perhaps Mr Packham needs another project?

Interesting. I complained on eBay reporting the Oriolus oriolus and now the description has been "corrected" stating that it's not a protected species, yada yada.

It is at least in Spain.
https://www.boe.es/buscar/act.php?id=BOE-A-2011-3582

And as our sock puppett politicians are unable to come up with such a comprehensive list of species to protect, I am sure all of this comes from an European directive.

Anyway I've reported it to the Spanish Guardia Civil who have a division specialized on envinronment protection. If it turns out to be some ring operating in Europe they have the means to alert police all over the EU and take action.

Great stuff Borjam, well done.

I had a reply stating that different laws apply in different countries however, it is still illegal to buy this stuff in most of the EU. Having lived in Russia, I'm fairly certain that though they seem to be disregarded, there will be laws that protect these species, in theory.

Great stuff Borjam, well done.

I had a reply stating that different laws apply in different countries however, it is still illegal to buy this stuff in most of the EU. Having lived in Russia, I'm fairly certain that though they seem to be disregarded, there will be laws that protect these species, in theory.

If you come back to Spain by plane, for example, and they find any part of a protected species in your luggage it's confiscated and you are fined. All of those birds except maybe a starling are at least in the catalog of protected species in Spain. And I imagine Europe.

Ebay is "concerned" and "has regulations" but it seems that they did not take the ad down. Sellers profile says that his is in Ukraine. But if you click on his feedback number, it says he is in Israel. No way that I know of to see what country the buyers are in.

Ebay is "concerned" and "has regulations" but it seems that they did not take the ad down. Sellers profile says that his is in Ukraine. But if you click on his feedback number, it says he is in Israel. No way that I know of to see what country the buyers are in.

At least if the authorities complain to eBay they can ban the listing in certain countries.

For example, several years ago I heard there was an Enigma machine rotor on auction on eBay, I tried to check it out and turns out the Spanish Government had imposed a blanket ban on any "militaria" listing in Spain. So eBay refused to show it, period.

If we complain to our national law enforcement and they in turn complain to eBay I am sure we can really reduce the exposure of such a "business".

I just recieved a private reprimand from Ebay for so called 'naming and shaming' in the 'community forum'.

I really think that this needs the high profile attention of someone like Chris Packham, does anyone know him, to contact him and bring this to his attention and see if he has time to write some e-mails?

Last edited:
I just recieved a private reprimand from Ebay for so called 'naming and shaming' in the 'community forum'.

I really think that this needs the high profile attention of someone like Chris Packham, does anyone know him, to contact him and bring this to his attention and see if he has time to write some e-mails?

I have once tried to contact him but couldn't find and email. The only option then seemed to be twitter (https://twitter.com/chrisgpackham)

Edit:
Just checked on twitter: "@ChrisGPackham can't be messaged" :C

Perhaps some high ranking RSPB person has a way in?

Last edited:
I have once tried to contact him but couldn't find and email. The only option then seemed to be twitter (https://twitter.com/chrisgpackham)

Edit:
Just checked on twitter: "@ChrisGPackham can't be messaged" :C

Perhaps some high ranking RSPB person has a way in?

I just wrote to his manager / agent.

The seller that made me start this thread, has a Leser Grey Shrike, miss-ID'd as Red-backed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taxiderm...houtBoostBBEV1&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Crested Lark and Yellow Wagtail for sale too, no way these birds are from captivity!

I'm not registered with e-bay but for those that are there is an option to report items on the page showing the item.

Thanks Pete,
I spent ages looking for that!

For those of us with the time to do it, it would be good, to go through all his listings and report them all. The report page is pretty basic though and doesn't provide a box for comment so all they'll do, is check Yellow Wagtail and decide it's not protected, job done for them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taxiderm...IOnTopCombiner&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

This lister even has a Booted Eagle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taxiderm...5&algv=default&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

He goes to great pains to list the laws he isn't breaking but clearly, most of these birds have been taken from the wild and have not, died in captivity as he claims.

Not prohibited by law of CITES
Not prohibited by law of US fish and wildlife service
Not prohibited by law of Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918
Not prohibited by law of Schedule 5 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act
Not prohibited by law of Wildlife Act, 1976
Not prohibited by law of Annex A of the EU Wildlife Trade Regulations
Not prohibited by law of ebay
This species is not migratory

He also seems to be doing a worryingly good amount of trade, judging by his feedback page.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/fdbk/feedback_profile/pogbaro?filter=feedback_page:All

Last edited:
Andy, I would like to apologise for calling you an "arse". I disagree with you on lots of things but calling you an "arse" was inappropriate and I apologise for doing so.

I am sorry.

Andy, I would like to apologise for calling you an "arse". I disagree with you on lots of things but calling you an "arse" was inappropriate and I apologise for doing so.

I am sorry.

I think if someone had called me an offensive name on a thread I’d started, I would prefer the apology to be via PM rather than as an off topic public comment repeating the word twice again long after I and the thread had moved on but, hey, that’s just me ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Pete,
I spent ages looking for that!

For those of us with the time to do it, it would be good, to go through all his listings and report them all. The report page is pretty basic though and doesn't provide a box for comment so all they'll do, is check Yellow Wagtail and decide it's not protected, job done for them.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taxiderm...IOnTopCombiner&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

This lister even has a Booted Eagle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Taxiderm...5&algv=default&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982

He goes to great pains to list the laws he isn't breaking but clearly, most of these birds have been taken from the wild and have not, died in captivity as he claims.

Not prohibited by law of CITES
Not prohibited by law of US fish and wildlife service
Not prohibited by law of Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918
Not prohibited by law of Schedule 5 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act
Not prohibited by law of Wildlife Act, 1976
Not prohibited by law of Annex A of the EU Wildlife Trade Regulations
Not prohibited by law of ebay
This species is not migratory

He also seems to be doing a worryingly good amount of trade, judging by his feedback page.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/fdbk/feedback_profile/pogbaro?filter=feedback_page:All

I find Ebay’s attitude really strange tbh. Over the years, I have made several complaints to Amazon about unscrupulous Chinese sellers putting fake stuff online, price hiking (most recently antibacterial gel that was a weak dilution of bleach and water!). Amazon immediately investigates the seller and bans them from the market place. Ok these Chinese sellers immediately register under another name usually and carry on trying to sell stuff but it sounds like Amazon have a more proactive approach to maintaining trading standards and sale of goods/import licensing etc than Ebay does with their wishy washy policy of leaving it upto the seller to validate their own credentials.

I think if someone had called me an offensive name on a thread I’d started, I would prefer the apology to be via PM rather than as an off topic public comment repeating the word twice again long after I and the thread had moved on but, hey, that’s just me ;)

The apology was for Andy. I called him an offensive name in public and I think it appropriate to apologise in public. Whether he wants to accept my apology or not is up to him. Either way, I have nothing more to say on the matter either in public or in private.

The apology was for Andy. I called him an offensive name in public and I think it appropriate to apologise in public. Whether he wants to accept my apology or not is up to him. Either way, I have nothing more to say on the matter either in public or in private.

Accepted - moving on.

I'm not familiar with how CITES works, but as far as I can tell at least some of his specimens fall within Schedule II (e.g. Eurasian Eagle-Owl) and as such I believe he would require a permit to trade these even if they were derived from captive birds, which I suspect he doesn't have. Does anybody know if this understanding is correct? If it is, I suspect ebay may be criminally liable for allowing them to be sold, as it is benefitting from the proceeds of crime.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back