• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mississippi Kite? - SE Texas (1 Viewer)

howell7079

I saw three of these birds flying high in the air. The picture had to be lightened and cropped. By the shape of the bird I am guessing mississippi kite. Thanks for the help.

Lyndon

Attachments

• kite unknown.JPG
    kite unknown.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 88
  • kite unknown 1.JPG
    kite unknown 1.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 92
I'm no Kite expert (having never knowingly seen one myself), but the shape does look like a kite and not a falcon and the fieldmarks all point towards Mississippi.

Thanks for the replies. This is a new bird for me and my son so this is exciting. I wish we could have gotten to see them a little closer though. We also saw a northern flicker on the way home which was also a new bird. Not a bad weekend.

Lyndon

Very much a Mississippi Kite. :t: I think I can confidently say male based on the amount of dark on the tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back