• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Field Guide on PocketPC (1 Viewer)

Wiley,
When you get the e-guide, copy it to your computer and transfer it to another SD card. That way you don't risk the original in the field. I use a Dell PDA with a 1Gb SD card, this gives plenty of room for the e-guide with loads left over for work etc. Also means that I am not constantly changing cards.

Wiley said:
Hi all. Just got an ipaq hx4700 and awaiting delivery of the eguide....no sleep for me then?

HP 4700 sound problems

Hi everybody

I own a HP4700 with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition version 4.21.1088 (Build 14132). I have just installed de Collins Bird eGuide V1.1a.
Everything its OK but the sound feature seems to be in failure.
I tap the sound box in the bottom of bird page. I get for some birds 2 or 3 options (ex: alarm all , song). I get no sound at all tapping all the options available.
Do you know if it is a problem with the HP4700?
Thanks for your help.

Jviana said:
Hi everybody

I own a HP4700 with Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition version 4.21.1088 (Build 14132). I have just installed de Collins Bird eGuide V1.1a.
Everything its OK but the sound feature seems to be in failure.
I tap the sound box in the bottom of bird page. I get for some birds 2 or 3 options (ex: alarm all , song). I get no sound at all tapping all the options available.
Do you know if it is a problem with the HP4700?
Thanks for your help.
Possibly a bit obvious but have you got the sound switched on for the device?

POP

I've recently got myself an XDA (Orbit 2) on contract with O2 (a snip at £15) and I've been browsing for info on the Collins eGuide.

I see Wildsounds are now doing it for £59.99 - and have it on several different card formats now such as MicroSD.

Just wondering if, after several years of use (this thread being 3 years old) whether people are still enjoying it and whether they've unearthed any problems now the dust has settled?

One other thing -

My XDA has a microSD slot, not an SD. What I'm wanting to do is buy it on an SD card (as my laptop has an SD cardreader). The, presumably, I can drop it onto the laptop and sync it back to the microSD card on the XDA - to save me having to carry swap cards around in the field?

Regards, etc.

Alan

I've recently got myself an XDA (Orbit 2) on contract with O2 (a snip at £15) and I've been browsing for info on the Collins eGuide.

I see Wildsounds are now doing it for £59.99 - and have it on several different card formats now such as MicroSD.

Just wondering if, after several years of use (this thread being 3 years old) whether people are still enjoying it and whether they've unearthed any problems now the dust has settled?

One other thing -

My XDA has a microSD slot, not an SD. What I'm wanting to do is buy it on an SD card (as my laptop has an SD cardreader). The, presumably, I can drop it onto the laptop and sync it back to the microSD card on the XDA - to save me having to carry swap cards around in the field?

Regards, etc.

Alan

Still working fine.

POP

Wish I had a faster PDA though. It takes ages to record a sighting (painfully slow) and go back to the home page again.

?

One other thing -

Regards, etc.

Alan

Alan

I would check with wildsounds that this is possible and that there isn't copy protection which would prohibit this. I have a vague memory when I purchased the eguide when it 1st came out that I asked whether it would be possible to move the file to another card type and was advised that there could be difficulties.

Perhaps other users have done this successfully and could advise

David

One other thing -

Regards, etc.

Alan

Have PM'd you Alan

Stewart

Alan

I would check with wildsounds that this is possible and that there isn't copy protection which would prohibit this. I have a vague memory when I purchased the eguide when it 1st came out that I asked whether it would be possible to move the file to another card type and was advised that there could be difficulties.

Perhaps other users have done this successfully and could advise

David

When I bought mine it came on a 256MB SD card and I copied it all onto a 1GB SD card so that I wouldn't have to keep swapping cards. I asked Wildsounds when I ordered if there were any copyright issues and they advised me that it was ok and should work fine. It did and I'm still using it on the 1GB card several years later. Copying the programme was as simple as copying all the files from one card to another before running it for the first time.

Derek

Guys,
I have installed the eguides software onto my device and its now sitting on the device memory in 'program files' and the edata directory is on the storage card.
When i run the app i keep getting 'unable to locate data folder. enter memory card folder name in the datastore.txt file' no matter what path i enter into the test file the error reappears.
Could somebody please tell me what they have in the datastore.txt file please.

Cheers

Mine simply says
Enter storage card folder name below (on next line) eg. \SD Card
\SD-MMCard

I have never had the message you are getting or had to enter anything into the datastore file

David

Mine simply says
Enter storage card folder name below (on next line) eg. \SD Card
\SD-MMCard

I have never had the message you are getting or had to enter anything into the datastore file

David

Hello there,
I've a copy of this software but I'm unable to have it to work!!!! Trying from time to time but have always a message "unexpected error" and the program closes.
Yes, if datastore is unavailable, the program creates it: this happens before giving the error.
David, would you mind to check the number and type of files you do have inside the "collins birds" directory? I've reached the conclusion that I have some problem with vsd_xx files. My system is WM5. Tks in advance for your help.
Amedeo

Hello there,
I've a copy of this software but I'm unable to have it to work!!!! Trying from time to time but have always a message "unexpected error" and the program closes.
Yes, if datastore is unavailable, the program creates it: this happens before giving the error.
David, would you mind to check the number and type of files you do have inside the "collins birds" directory? I've reached the conclusion that I have some problem with vsd_xx files. My system is WM5. Tks in advance for your help.
Amedeo

Amedeo may I suggest you contact I think the name is Wild Sounds.com,and explain the problem.

POP

Hello there,
Amedeo

Amedeo

Can you confirm the name of the directory. I don't have a directory called collins birds. There is a Cab file on the SD card called" Collins Bird eGuide" and a directory on the PDA under Program Files called "Bird eGuide"

David

David,
you're right! The directory name is "Bird eGuide" and I have it on my SD card .
What I suspect is missing inside "Bird eGuide" is a file vsd_setup.txt and cannot imagine its content.... At least a ppc utitlity seems to show that.
If you could check and may be send me..... I would appreciate very much
TIA

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back