• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Patch tick (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
I had a Grey-headed Woodpecker right outside our kitchen window today, a Russian tick for me and very unexpected.

We recently resurrected our feeder after a break to curtail the spread of Trichomoniasis and it came in to check out what was going on. Sadly, it didn't hang around for a photo.

The date fits very well for this species which regularly moves in late autumn. I've seen them migrating with thrushes over the mountains and even posted a bit of info regarding this back in 2005.

There is an obvious peak in records at my current local patch in late autumn which has nothing to do with observer effort. More info on this page for anyone interested.

Thanks Julian, so you think this was a migrant rather than a local bird?

It's a species I'd expected but never even heard.

If you don't get them locally then this would be a perfect time for a migrant. Might come under dispersal but as I said earlier I see this species at places they definitely don't breed almost every autumn....many species that are traditionally viewed as resident undertake movements that make them turn up in places they wouldn't normally occur.

If you don't get them locally then this would be a perfect time for a migrant. Might come under dispersal but as I said earlier I see this species at places they definitely don't breed almost every autumn....many species that are traditionally viewed as resident undertake movements that make them turn up in places they wouldn't normally occur.

It's odd that in an old book we have, in Russian, 'Birds of the Leningrad Region', it should be common but never even heard one.

We have a small block (c1/2 acre) of isolated, birch, swamp forest, right next to our kitchen window. When I say isolated, I mean not contiguous with any other local forest which may point to it being a transient.

Three-toed is down in the book as the commonest Woodpecker of the region, I can categorically stat that it's nowhere near the commonest! I've seen White-backed more often than Three-toed, Great-spot is now commonest by far.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back