• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone owned / tried a 15x45 Conquest? (1 Viewer)

james holdsworth

Consulting Biologist
The older series, not the HD's.

I've been interested in getting a high mag. bin for some time and have never given this model any consideration, mostly looking at the 15x56 HD. I'd save a bunch over the HD's but it would hardly be worth it if they are optically much inferior.

Hope to hear some user feedback with your impressions optically as well as build quality if possible.

Feel free to post your thoughts but I did some Googling and have found the reviews largely unfavourable, as might be expected of something with such a small exit pupil.

I would stay away from the older Conquest in 10X or >10X, (12X or 15X) in large aperture >40mm. Go with the new Conquest HD, used, is the best bet.

Andy W.

The 12x45 and 15x45 Zeiss Conquests were related to the 8x30 and 10x30 Conquests with 50% larger and longer focal length objectives.
I bought a 12x45 around 2006/7 and used it mostly on a monopod. It was fairly light but nevertheless about 10% heavier than the Zeiss specification and had an unusual diopter correction at the front of the hinge. Optically it was mediocre and I sold it to buy a 10x42 Victory FL, which was a significant improvement.
If you're looking for 12x and don't need lots of eye relief, the Meopta 12x50 HD B1 (judging by Typo's review) would probably give a 12x50 EL a run for its money.
A 15x56 Conquest HD I looked through was a big disappointment. It had about the worst CA I have seen in any mid/high price binocular.

John

Hi James.

I tried the 12x45s several years ago and was very unimpressed with them - optically bland and cheap feeling. Best avoided unless you are desperate for the blue badge.

Ten years ago i bought an 15x45 zeiss new from the store , and because at those time i was a newbie with the binoculares ,i was very happy with him . Mostly because the bino was so small and so light . Only 620-650 grams. But then the winter has comes and on the tree covered by snow i saw the worst cromatic abberation possible in an optic instrument. Instead to see white and black i saw plenty of yellow. I imediately soldt the bino .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back