• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When will the current alphas become 'obsolete' (1 Viewer)

I talked to Zeiss representative some years ago, and, between the lines, the technology plateaus unless there is some unexpected technological development. But some of the other brands mentioned on this thread I would not call alpha.

..... I choose the 8× because I can mostly hold it steady .....
..... I think a slight amount of movement with an 8× is fairly normal for everyone. Most times it is not critical, and so we do not consciously think of it.
...... but it seems quite normal to me, that a magnification of 8x can cause some vibrations and since you are not dead fortunately your muscle tension will all by itself cause some vibration, which one can limit a bit by supporting the binocular. The other point is that your heart beat also causes vibrations in the muscular system fortunately and that also affects binocular stability.......
Less coffee and some beta-blockers might work?
Gijs, Vespo, I don't drink coffee (except sometimes a bit of raw iced, or liqueur - Kahlua' , but even then it has to be diluted with 2× milk so that it just tastes like a big caramel milkshake! :eat: B :) ). When I was doing Tae-Kwon-Do and training in professional shooting, and through biofeedback and mindfulness, I was able to lower my heart rate to ~30bpm taking roughly 1 breath a minute. Then a slightly higher breath rate allowed precise trigger control afer exhalation between even heartbeats. I use similar techniques when I want to eek every last bit of stability and resolution out of my binoculars.

I think because my current injury is spine related - it's sending the nervous system a bit haywire, and besides, stability is not good at the moment. A good excuse to go back to the magnificent location and try again. When I am able to carry the load, I will even check with my camera.

And some 8x might be more stable than others due to large FOV, good ergo and excellent eye piece/ER. You know what bin I'm talking about.
Yes, I already have the 8×43 Zen-Ray ED3 --- so best ergonomics in the business right there :) ........ :cat:

On the other hand, beyond that context, the future is already here if you want it. People are starting to ID birds with superzoom cameras now, 600 to 3000mm equivalent lenses. That's 14x to 70x, and you can even save an image to study later. Not the same experience at all, but useful.....
Yes, this is what I do when my binos and eyeballs run out of puff - take a picture at 1200mm(eq) ~24× and then zoom in from there ...... often it will tell you whether you are looking at a stick/rock/shadow, or a bird! :)
Quite beastly (2.7kg=6lbs) to carry around though - give it a dozen or so years, and the lightweight digital bino option will be here.

Chosun :gh:

P.S. Gijs, and everybody else --- HaPpY NeW YeAr !!! :D

Last edited:
The quality standard for binoculars is probably the limiting factor here.
Not much point in making them better than the average eye might be what the average manufacturer thinks.

When it comes to camera lenses your essayist might be more correct on aspherical lenses and "quantum leap" in image quality. Especially zoom lenses have improved significant only over the last 4-5 years and many uses aspherical lens elements. See attached file of the Nikon 24-70mm zoom, with built in image stabilization of course, and using in total 4 aspherical lenses. Image quality is also clearly better than it's predecessor and very welcome on the latest 45 MP image sensors. This lens is not cheap but still a bit less expensive than most alpha binoculars.

Technical stagnation in binoculars, but continued good progress in imaging systems surely prefigures a shift in birding practices.
Even today, rarities are suspect without photographic proof, so it is no stretch to envision a birding future where imaging supersedes observation.
We may look back at current practices with the same bemusement that we today look back at the shotgun based ID methods of Audubon and his contemporaries.

Technical stagnation in binoculars, but continued good progress in imaging systems surely prefigures a shift in birding practices.
Even today, rarities are suspect without photographic proof, so it is no stretch to envision a birding future where imaging supersedes observation.
We may look back at current practices with the same bemusement that we today look back at the shotgun based ID methods of Audubon and his contemporaries.

The validity of the term "photographic proof" will probably fade with the same speed that AI is developing unfortunately and photos can't be trusted anymore.

Meanwhile "enjoy" this creative photographers anteater-scam:

https://petapixel.com/2018/04/30/a-closer-look-at-the-stuffed-anteater-photo-contest-scandal/

:t:

Haha :-O that's the secret to a long life Bill - keep breathing ! o:)

I recently shared my retirement plans with my friend Cory Suddarth (Suddarth Optical Repair) and he relayed HIS retirement plans to me:

“When I stop breathing ... I’m retired.” :cat:

Bill

You raise a serious point.
Hopefully the judges ability to analyze photos will improve in line with our ability to fake them.

When I was 14, my father taught me:

"Don't trust ANYTHING you hear and only HALF of what you see." :cat:

Bill

Not much point in making them better than the average eye might be what the average manufacturer thinks.
And the ISO standard seems to be set quite low as some here on BF have pointed out.
Yes, I'm sure you're right. The alphas must exceed that standard, but by how much?

We've just acquired a different Nikon 24-70 for our new Z6 cameras, again with one ASPH element. (The front elements are collapsed in this diagram and extend out for use.) Leica of course have been using ASPH for years already, at least in camera lenses. Perhaps the cost of such elements -- I think they're usually molded, rather than ground -- has recently been reduced somehow.

Attachments

• Nikkor Z 24-70mm-f4-S.jpg
    Nikkor Z 24-70mm-f4-S.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 17
Yes, I'm sure you're right. The alphas must exceed that standard, but by how much?

We've just acquired a different Nikon 24-70 for our new Z6 cameras, again with one ASPH element. (The front elements are collapsed in this diagram and extend out for use.) Leica of course have been using ASPH for years already, at least in camera lenses. Perhaps the cost of such elements -- I think they're usually molded, rather than ground -- has recently been reduced somehow.

I'm sure they could but binoculars are so much harder to test in an "objective" way than camera lenses. Most customers are probably happy with an average performing bin.

Nikon's Z-mount and lenses is another good example of optical quality improvements.
Some might even say it's a leap, at least in edge sharpness.
The pressure from medium format systems becoming cheaper (fujifilm) is a driving force here i suspect.

For binoculars not much seems to have happened after the introduction of ED-glass and field flatteners?
:smoke:

Last edited:
What do Meade, Celestron, Hawke, Leupold, Vortex, Bushnell, Opticron, Swift, Meopta, Avalon, Maven, Vanguard, Track, Tom Lock, and Oberwerk have in common? They are all companies that do not make binoculars ... and never have.

Meopta? Really?

Maybe Bill meant Meopta USA (which doesn‘t manufacture, just assembly), not Meopta Czech Republic (which DOES manufacture, even for other brands).

Canip

Mark9473, post 112,
Meopta is one of the largest optics producers in Europe and among that many binoculars and telescopes for the civilian and the military market as I could see with my own eyes when I visited the company.
Gijs van Ginkel

And the ISO standard seems to be set quite low as some here on BF have pointed out.

Here is what Milos Slany of Meopta Optika, Czech Republic, said about the ISO Standard (Norm) in my interview with him:

ISO standard governing high quality binoculars

T: It has been said that ISO 14133-2, governing the performance of high quality binoculars is not at all demanding. Do you agree with this, and in particular, do you think the resolution requirements are ambitious enough?

M: Strictly speaking the standard is not especially demanding but the fact is if you produce a binocular which exceeds the resolution requirement, the image which reaches the retina will not bring better resolution because the standard is already equal to the best resolution the average human eye can produce. BUT. While this standard is used by Meopta, resolution is really just one small part of the perception of optical performance. Contrast is really very important too and there are many other parameters which must be taken into account. In fact there is no single figure that can define or summarise optical performance so Meopta uses many and these include not only resolution but Modulation Transfer Function, Strehl Ratio, as well as measurements of several aberrations and of course light transmission.​

Lee

Why not just enjoy what we have today and not worry about what may happen or come next tomorrow? Some of us won't be around when it happens.
Just talking about binoculars by the way.

Here is what Milos Slany of Meopta Optika, Czech Republic, said about the ISO Standard (Norm) in my interview with him:

ISO standard governing high quality binoculars

T: It has been said that ISO 14133-2, governing the performance of high quality binoculars is not at all demanding. Do you agree with this, and in particular, do you think the resolution requirements are ambitious enough?

M: Strictly speaking the standard is not especially demanding but the fact is if you produce a binocular which exceeds the resolution requirement, the image which reaches the retina will not bring better resolution because the standard is already equal to the best resolution the average human eye can produce. BUT. While this standard is used by Meopta, resolution is really just one small part of the perception of optical performance. Contrast is really very important too and there are many other parameters which must be taken into account. In fact there is no single figure that can define or summarise optical performance so Meopta uses many and these include not only resolution but Modulation Transfer Function, Strehl Ratio, as well as measurements of several aberrations and of course light transmission.​

Lee

"Strictly speaking the standard is not especially demanding but the fact is if you produce a binocular which exceeds the resolution requirement, the image which reaches the retina will not bring better resolution because the standard is already equal to the best resolution the average human eye can produce"

That do sound pretty low.
In that case 50% of users actually would benefit from better resolution than the ISO standard states.
Thats even lower than I thought.

If 50% of shoes in the store did not fit because the lack of accuracy in the sizing system, it would be pretty crazy.
Wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back