• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Crested Flycatcher, Palo Verde, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

alanc

Just an earthbound misfit
England
This individual seen in December. In the field it looked a little different from other GCF's I've come across. I filed it as GCF due to the colour of the lower mandible.
Am I missing something here? All photos the same bird.
any comments welcome.
thanks alan

Attachments

• DSC_0026 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0026 - Copy.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0029 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0029 - Copy.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_0030 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0030 - Copy.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0031 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0031 - Copy.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0036 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0036 - Copy.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 25
Hi Andy
yes i thought of BCF but the bill colour put me of. This especially noticeable in pic 5. Do BCF have a pale base to the bill? both my field guides say the bill is black. It certainly looked smaller than other GC's I've seen
alan

Look at the first shot Alan, the bill appears all dark from that angle, I wonder if feather wear at the base of the bill is affecting what we see and I can only repeat what I said about the breastband.

Last edited:
Look at the first shot Alan, the billa ppears all dark from that angle, I wonder if feather wera at the base of the bill is affecting what we see and I can only repeat what I said about the breastband.

Note the point about the extent of grey on the breast but I think it's actually slightly closer to Great-crested in this case (although a quick Google shows much variation for both species). The bill pattern matches better too IMHO. Last, my first gen. Sibley says "extensive rufous" tail as we see here rather than "fairly extensive rufous" (i.e. a bit duller) for Brown-crested. So I vote Great Crested. Pity we can't see the tertials.

Note the point about the extent of grey on the breast but I think it's actually slightly closer to Great-crested in this case (although a quick Google shows much variation for both species). The bill pattern matches better too IMHO. Last, my first gen. Sibley says "extensive rufous" tail as we see here rather than "fairly extensive rufous" (i.e. a bit duller) for Brown-crested. So I vote Great Crested. Pity we can't see the tertials.

This is how I expect to see the breastband on GC, the OP is quite a bit further down the breast?

https://d1ia71hq4oe7pn.cloudfront.net/og/75222321-1200px.jpg

This is how I expect to see the breastband on GC, the OP is quite a bit further down the breast?

https://d1ia71hq4oe7pn.cloudfront.net/og/75222321-1200px.jpg

Yes, but they are quite variable (quick Google). I found quite a few pics with an extent similar to the one here. My Sibley has 2 slightly different extents shown; it also suggests that yellow is slightly stronger (here) than on Brown-crested although again web pics suggest this varies [as you'd expect from light if nothing else]

Yes, but they are quite variable (quick Google). I found quite a few pics with an extent similar to the one here. My Sibley has 2 slightly different extents shown; it also suggests that yellow is slightly stronger (here) than on Brown-crested although again web pics suggest this varies [as you'd expect from light if nothing else]

I've seen a lot of birds on Google that seem to be wrongly ID'd, no wonder if it's so variable, thank goodness we're not considering Nuttings too which shares it's range with BC in that part of CR.

Last edited:
Great Crested Flycatcher to me. Brown-crested shows a bit more dark along the inner webs of the outer rectrices, whereas the dark on the outer webs just barely bleeds onto the inner webs in a GCFL, like this bird. Overall, the yellow looks too bright and the breast too dark gray for BCFL. I don't think the extent of the gray breast differs among the various candidates.

Andy

As Andy said, the tail pattern is correct for Great Crested. Brown-crested has dark extending onto the inner web. Also the pink base to the bill in the last photo is real.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back