• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New 2016 Vortex Diamondback 8x42 (1 Viewer)

NatureLvrCanada

I just purchased the Vortex 2016 Diamondback 8x42. Was looking for a quality binocular with a great warranty and found both with this model and brand. Used it tonight at dusk and the view seems to be bright and sharp with detail. For low to medium price range binoculars, the new 2016 Diamondback 8x42 came out with very high scores in a test by BirdWatching.com. http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2016_affordable_8x42/review.html

My previous pair was an Alpen Shasta Ridge 8x42. It was a car binocular and something I did not have to ginger in the field. It saw its share of rough handling. Heavy and bulky but was easy to hold steady. Not so good hanging around the neck. The new 2016 Diamondbacks are lighter and less bulky. I kind of like the heft for holding steady. Prior to the Alpen, I had the Celestron Noble 8x42 which was rated highly. But I somehow misplaced it.

I like the Vortex Diamondback enough that I would not be surprised if I also bought the Viper down the road. But the Diamondback will more than do based on what I have seen in the field so far. I really like it.

I have it also, although a little older model. It is great.

I like the older styling on the previous Diamondback like the one you have. It has a thicker or bulkier centre (where it hinges and the focus adjustment area). I am sure will get used to the new styling.

PS. The 'edit' function wasn't working last night which is why you see 3 posts on the same subject. When I clicked on the 'edit' button, I would not see my text. Then I hit the back button and then see it. Makes the changes and publish. Instead of editing, a new thread in the forum resulted and I cannot delete it. If there are moderators, hope they can delete the extra threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely something wrong with the edit function on this site. Tried to correct a typo in my post above (was going to change the word 'clock' to 'click' and same thing happened. Realizing what happened last night, I cancelled instead of going ahead with the edit.

After using the new 2016 version of the Diamondback for a few days now, I am really appreciating them more and more. I am getting used to the lighter weight and holding them steady now. Starting to appreciate the lighter weight too especially when they are hung around my neck.

Having used the new 2016 Vortex Diamondback in the field for over a month now, I am loving the binocular. The new design and lighter weight makes handholding it with one or two hands easy and non-fatiguing.

I had sent my Alpen Shasta Ridge in for repair over a month ago. The design of the Shasta Ridge is like the older version of the Diamondback with a chunky centre where the binocular hinges. After being used to the slimmer and lighter Diamondback, the Shasta Ridge feels very heavy and bulky to hold. It may be that it was heavier to begin with but I can now appreciate why Vortex redesigned the older Diamondback. It really is a nice improvement for handholding.

I'm glad you're enjoying your Diamondbacks. I certainly found the newer version a considerable improvement over the older model, in both optics and ergonomics.

...Mike

I've had a pair for 3-4 years now. Love the older model - if they made them even better, I might have to circle back!

I've had a pair for 3-4 years now. Love the older model - if they made them even better, I might have to circle back!
I've had both and IMO the newer model (the 2016 one) is a considerable improvement on the older one. However, I'm not at all sure that you might not get better value for money looking outside the Vortex range near this price-point. The new Diamondbacks are, to my mind, an improvement - but the whole binocular world has moved on a bit and I'm not sure that the Vortex Diamondback range has moved far enough with it...

...Mike

Mike - thanks for the advice. Should a new pair be on the radar, I will, as always, do excruciating research, and re-read reviews even after the purchase to assure myself I haven't screwed up! 8-P

The Diamondback 2016 model does exhibit color aberrations around the subject under high contrast conditions such as heavily back-lit subjects. While I prefer not to have that, for what I use it for the binocular is more than adequate. Initially I wanted to get the Viper but Amazon Canada does not carry it. Apparently they're not an authorized reseller of Vortex products. I had to buy the Diamondback on Amazon.com. The exchange rate difference was too much for the Viper. I could have gotten the Viper from Bass Pro Canada and we have a store in the Ottawa area. I will guess the Viper at $400 more does not show color aberration. My first scope was a Alpen and it had color aberration. Disliked that a lot as it got in the way of enjoying the view. Later I got the Celestron Regal M2 with ED glass and loved it. Really good optics at a nice low price (back then it was around $600).

The Diamondback 2016 model does exhibit color aberrations around the subject under high contrast conditions such as heavily back-lit subjects. While I prefer not to have that, for what I use it for the binocular is more than adequate. Initially I wanted to get the Viper but Amazon Canada does not carry it. Apparently they're not an authorized reseller of Vortex products. I had to buy the Diamondback on Amazon.com. The exchange rate difference was too much for the Viper. I could have gotten the Viper from Bass Pro Canada and we have a store in the Ottawa area. I will guess the Viper at $400 more does not show color aberration. My first scope was a Alpen and it had color aberration. Disliked that a lot as it got in the way of enjoying the view. Later I got the Celestron Regal M2 with ED glass and loved it. Really good optics at a nice low price (back then it was around $600).

Eagle Optics in Guelph, Ontario, Canada carries the Vortex Diamondback in 32mm and 42 mm and 50mm sizes. They also have a mail order business and they carry the Vortex Viper line too. See this link:

http://www.eagleoptics.ca/brands/vortex/binoculars/mid-size

Bob

Last edited:
Bought a pair of these as a lightweight beater model. I'm actually pleasantly surprised for the price. They have a nice, wide FoV and are quite bright. CA control isn't the best nor is the edge of the view, but for sub-$200 with a lifetime no-fault warranty, you'd be hard pressed to beat these in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back