• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 500 f4 Mark 1 purchase - some advice (1 Viewer)

mikenott

Flawed but improving!
England
I have a budding young (teenage) photographer who is just about able to buy a second hand Canon 500 f4 Mk1 lens from a well known Norfolk store. Lens is good, with some dust but no affect on image quality. It does have a non-working focus recall button on the lens, but not too worried about that as such, as I have never used the one on my 500/600 lenses.

However, I am concerned that the lens was built in the year 2000 and is now 18 years old. This, combined with a broken focuss recall button and the dust, are making me have serious doubts on advising him to go ahead. The price is good, at about £500 below a similar second hand model in better condition with no faults. But is it worth the risk, rather than waiting and maybe getting a better/newer lens??

Grateful for any views - either way!

Michael.

These lenses are not serviced/repaired anymore by canon.However a company in scotland called the lens doctor services all canon lenses.Have you tried mpb.com as well?

Thanks for reply! Really? Wow. That's a big change over recent years. I am not looking. but will pass on the suggestion.

I assume you are referring to the Canon 500 F4 L IS Mk1? There was an earlier F4.5 model.

There are a number of places that can service/clean/calibrate this lens. There is only a potential problem if spares are needed. Just because Canon no longer support a lens does not mean that there will be no spares available - but they are going to be progressively harder to find and this should be born in mind regarding prices.

As to the lens itself it is a cracker!

It is a very good but quiet heavy lens. Tack sharp and works well with the 1.4 Tele.

Build quality very good as you expect for a canon L series lens. The price should reflect that Canon no longer service this lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back