• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics Triumph 8x25 (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I had been looking for a replacement of my lousy "car binoculars" and ended up getting the 8x25 version of the Eagle Optics Triumph line, mostly relying on the reviews found at the company website.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/eagle-optics/eagle-optics-triumph-8x25-roof-prism-binocular
This is a roof model, whereas one finds reverse porros of the same name here in BF. I spent a bit more than I originally wanted, and the model is a bit larger than I would have preferred for the purpose. But I am now so much impressed by these new (to me) binoculars that I am very happy the way they are. For one, they feel very comfortable in my smallish hands. But most of all, I very much enjoy the view through them. I should say that my main binoculars are all of the "alpha" brands as they are often called here. Leica and Zeiss in my case. I have not tried to do a comparison with those as it's not the purpose of these glasses to see how they compare. I will use them when I don't have the others along, at least that is the original idea. However, so far I think they are doing so well that I could easily pack them up whenever I want a pair that is light, has close focus, and does not cost so much if it should get lost or damaged. In short, I'm very much surprised about the comfortable view I have, also when wearing my eyeglasses.

I tried to find some report of this model here on BF, but there does not seem to be much. Or else I did not find it. Anyway, that is why I started this thread. I'd be interested to read what others who know this model think about it. There may well be negative observations that I have not noticed yet, but at about 90$, this is a bargain I think.

Last edited:
Not a popular one on BF

One hundred views, and not a single reply. I conclude that there are very few users of this model who also participate here on BF. In a way this would confirm my original impression when I hardly found any mention of this model here. But it was then also my motivation for this thread, as I think it is quite a worthwhile model to look at, be it for a gift to a youngster who is getting into birding, be it - as in my case - for that extra pair of binoculars that comes in handy every once in a while. And finally, I think it is excellent for anybody who is looking for that light-weight model that does a decent job, but does not cost the world. (I should add that I have no connections to Eagle Optics whatsoever. Except that I appreciate their wide selection and have my son who lives in the US order for me from time to time.)

EO, unfortunately, don't accept foreign credit cards. This may also be a reason why these binoculars are not more widely known. But then, I'm sure there must be the same type available under some other name. Any suggestions for these?

Hello Robert,

I suspect that you are correct in writing that few have any interest in that model. I may have owned it, or something similar with a different name, years, ago. I recall paying about $80, more than six years, ago. The reverse Porro binoculars do flatten the view and to be sure it is an inexpensive glass.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Robert,
I think if you are happy with them then that is all that is important. You might have influenced others to try them. And you have noted the conditions under which you use them. Certainly one can't complain about their price! Also they have 5 favorable reviews on the Eagle website.
Bob

Last edited:
Hi Arthur,

This is a roof prism model.

Just noticed this thread.

These are a dead ringer for the RSPB Ramblers.

They definately do something right in the optics. I prefer the view to the Nikon ex 8x25 even though I know the Reverse porros of the Nikons should be better...

Yes I think they are something of a bargain too. There is a positive review on one of the RSPB sites for the 8x25.

I used to demo RSPB bins as a volunteer and they were my pick of the compacts (though not waterproof) in the sub £100 area. They compare well with the alpha brands too, some of whose eyecups are so small they interfere with my eyelashes!

There are some edge distortions going on but the centrefield really is excellent. Clockwise focussing too.

Attachments

• rspb_rambler.jpg
    rspb_rambler.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 100
......These are a dead ringer for the RSPB Ramblers.

OK, here we go! Thanks for providing this connection. You are certainly correct that this is the same model.

Eagle Optics lists them as waterproof, though. But that may be a matter definition, i.e. just HOW waterproof they need to be before one says they are. So RSPB calls them water resistant instead.

Last edited:
The objective lenses move in and out so the ramblers could let in water there.

Are the Triumph's sealed at the obj. end with a glass plate ala Swaro 8x30slc's?

The objective lenses move in and out ......

Sure enough, just the same in the EO version. I had not noticed this before. But I would have been very surprised if there had been a difference after realizing all the other similarities.

So I guess that claim about the EO model being waterproof is a bit far fetched. Thanks for pointing this out. Knowing the weak point of a product allows to treat it accordingly.

The Leupold Yosemite porros (6x30 and 8x30) are also declared to be waterproof. But there, the bridge with the eyepieces moves back and forth. Thus the same problem. O-rings providing some water resistance, but they are certainly not waterproof either.

Yes I was a bit suprised the Triumph were claimed to be waterproof but as I hadn't actually handled a pair I couldn't be sure of the arrangement.

Did you get them locally or import them?

.....Did you get them locally or import them?

My son brought them over for me from the US. Thus no shipping costs as EO has free shipping within the main US, and only $90. A decent model to be kept in the glove compartment of the car. At least that is what I bought them for. From what I know now, one should probably not use them to look up into a tree or at an overhead bird when it's raining. But that is pretty much a basic limitation for all the "cheapies". And this one at least has quite good optics.

An extra piece of glass up front would really have been a major step upwards, even without nitrogen filling.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back