• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

6.5x32s (1 Viewer)

Anyone compared Vortex Fury 6.5x32 and Viking MD 6.5x32?

Similar but slightly different specs.

I like my 7x42 SLCs but thinking about a smaller lighter version to compliment them.

Anyone compared Vortex Fury 6.5x32 and Viking MD 6.5x32?

Similar but slightly different specs.

I like my 7x42 SLCs but thinking about a smaller lighter version to compliment them.

The Fury is a really nice binocular, but I'm on the wrong side of the pond for Viking I think. I don't know what you want to spend, but I'd sure at least look into the Vortex Viper 6x30. The original are EOL but available around for some pretty deep discount.

The Fury is a really nice binocular, but I'm on the wrong side of the pond for Viking I think. I don't know what you want to spend, but I'd sure at least look into the Vortex Viper 6x30. The original are EOL but available around for some pretty deep discount.

Thanks Steve. The Vipers look nice but they cost £200 more than the Vortex or Viking. More than I can spend on what are back-up bins.

I did try the Viking briefly a while back, in a disinterested way before i was actually considering 6.5x32s and what has stuck in my mind is the slack in the focus wheel.

How is the wheel on the Furys? Any slack? How many turns from one end to the other?

Best wishes
Martin

Martin ,

I have the Fury and love it. The wheel is not slacking, but also not very tight.
It is an extremely rapid focuser, most of the time I turn the wheel less than half an inch.

Focus speed:
Totally 360 degrees from near point (1 m) to infinity. 100 degrees from 3 m to infinity.

Last edited:
Martin ,

I have the Fury and love it. The wheel is not slacking, but also not very tight.
It is an extremely rapid focuser, most of the time I turn the wheel less than half an inch.

Focus speed:
Totally 360 degrees from near point (1 m) to infinity. 100 degrees from 3 m to infinity.

Hi Looksharp,

that is a quick focus.

How is centre sharpness? I know you've seen my other post about the Legend porros and centre sharpness- are they very sharp in the centre? How are the edges? (I'm assuming they aren't sharp across the whole view due to their price point).

Like the Legend, the Fury has a very large FOV and center sharpness is very fine. Sweet spot as measured in degrees is great, but of course there is a deterioration towards the edges. I have never felt it's bothersome. There seems to be almost no curvature of field.

Besides its extremely relaxed and easy view and its speed of use, I want to point out its backlight properties, that surpasses anything I have kept in my hands.

Due to the price level and level of satisfaction, I bought another sample "just in case".
The pricing made this easy, but even if they were twice as expensive, I would have bought the spare set.

Martin, how about the Meopta´s Meopro?..are there more expensive than the Vipers,or the other models that You are considering?...they have a 6.5 x32 that is maybe interesting...

Looksharp, I think, given all you say abotu them, that I'll have to try a pair. Should be a nice light weight alternative to the SLC 7x42.

Due to the price level and level of satisfaction, I bought another sample "just in case".
A wise move- the 6.5x32 Furys are going out of production I think. Shame, we need more low mag bins, there aren't enough to choose from.

Like the Legend, the Fury has a very large FOV and center sharpness is very fine. Sweet spot as measured in degrees is great, but of course there is a deterioration towards the edges. I have never felt it's bothersome. There seems to be almost no curvature of field.

Besides its extremely relaxed and easy view and its speed of use, I want to point out its backlight properties, that surpasses anything I have kept in my hands.

The pricing made this easy, but even if they were twice as expensive, I would have bought the spare set.

I am thinking for a backup, have you considered the Leupold Yosemite 6x30? They are highly regarded here, lightweight, and optically very good. ;)
Under $100, and although I have not tried the Fury, these are sure to be close.

Jerry

I am thinking for a backup, have you considered the Leupold Yosemite 6x30? They are highly regarded here, lightweight, and optically very good. ;)
Under $100, and although I have not tried the Fury, these are sure to be close.

Jerry

Thanks for making me take a proper look at the spec for these, Jerry.

I hadn't looked at them because I had it in my head that they are short e/r. They have 20mm though. I must of been thinking of the 8x with 14mm.

And they're only £90.

How is the focus? How many turns from one end to the other?

Martin,

The Yosemite focus is, if I remember right, about one turn in total travel. It is also STIFF. Other than that they are nice. Jerry has it right, they are real close to a porro version of the Fury.

Thanks Steve.

I tried the Vortex Raptor 6.5x32 porro briefly this afternoon. That has 20mm e/r and it worked fine for me. The focus was very stiff though. Enough to put me off it because if it was that stiff in the shop, what is it like in the cold? Stuck solid I should think.

I also tried the 6,5x32 Viking MD roofer. Very nice indeed. 8* fov so not quite as wise as the Furys but the e/r was just right for me (20mm). Focus action is good too.

Think I'll order a pair of the Furys to try out. The little extra fov appeals to me. Also the guarantee is better. Vikings is only 5 year.

Martin

The Raptor is a dead ringer for the Yosemite, except that the barrels are longer. Eye cups, focus, feel in the hand, just about everything else too. The Raptor I think may be a bit brighter. So since the Raptor focus didn't suit you the Yosemite won't either.

Martin,

The Yosemites I tried had a light, smooth, precise and fast focus. Sample variation I guess. For me the view just seemed right! Not helpfull I realise. Sometimes you just pick up a glass and think "that's nice".

David

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back