• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Bellied Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

Haggis

"Yes, the one with the binnoculars."
Very exciting. The Blue Jays swooped in to my feeders hanging in the big Norway Spruce and right behind them came the woodpecker. The shock of orange/red feathers on it's head was quite remarkable. It had a slight cinnamon colour (like the Northern Flicker) on its sides. Black and white stripes across his back. But, you were so drown to that head... exceptional.

It was the first time I've seen a Red Bellied Woodpecker, it's a rare bird around here (Nova Scotia). It should be in Southern New England. It might have been pushed up the coast by one of the two large low pressure systems coming our way. Hopefully, I'll get some photos of it in the next few days.

Well done, I'm jealous. I chased down a feeder sighting of one on Sunday but didn't get it. They are a beautiful bird.
One hung out a friend's feeder most of the Spring a couple of years back and I kept hoping he wpuld swing over my way, it's not far, but no luck.

Well, after spending hours watching for 'my' Red Bellied Woodpecker today, I had to finally put the camera down and admit defeat. Perhaps tomorrow.

Unfortunately Sam, it has been years since I've seen a Black Backed WP. But, I'll see what I can do.

Snowyow... Yes, they are extemely beautiful. I am hoping it will pop back around the neighbourhood so I can get a photograph. But, I might be wishing for too much.

Good Birding,
Ann
Haggis

Red-headed Woodpecker?

Mike Pearson said:
Red-bellied Woodpecker at nest in Ontario, Spring 2004. Pair had been aggressively defending nest site from a pair of Starlings. Would have missed the woodpecker if it had not been for the noise they were making in defence of the site.

Hi, Mike! I think your photo is of a Red-headed Woodpecker, rather than a Red-bellied. The latter has a barred back. Of course, as Katy says, I am open to being wrong.........!

Regards, Dick

RCarter said:
Hi, Mike! I think your photo is of a Red-headed Woodpecker, rather than a Red-bellied. The latter has a barred back. Of course, as Katy says, I am open to being wrong.........!

Regards, Dick

Dick,

You're quite correct - my apologies to all as I did this late last night when I should have been sleeping. Need to get my brain in gear!

Mike

Mike Pearson said:
Dick,

You're quite correct - my apologies to all as I did this late last night when I should have been sleeping. Need to get my brain in gear!

Mike

No apologies, happens to everybody! I've been up for 36 hours right now, and am not sure I'm seeing or thinking too clearly!

I love your signature quote from Durrell, by the way........

Best, Dick

Red-bellied Woodpecker

RCarter said:
No apologies, happens to everybody! I've been up for 36 hours right now, and am not sure I'm seeing or thinking too clearly!

I love your signature quote from Durrell, by the way........

Best, Dick

Thanks, I still feel embarrassed - I've deleted the photo and changed the information in the gallery photo.

Mike

Hi folks. First time posting here. I live in the NW part of North Carolina, and now have a red-bellied woodpecker who has drilled his nest into the 100-yr-old beech tree in my front yard. I hadn't seen the hole until the leaves fell away this past week. But, he made his first trip (that I've seen) to my feeders this afternoon, just outside my kitchen window.

Wow. What a head-piece this fella was sportin'. Bright flame-orange at the nose, then a fire-engine red mullet. I didn't want to leave to get my camera. Next time I will. The pic should be good, from only 3 ft from my window.

WFDD... excellent description. They are fantastic aren't they. I couldn't leave for my camera either and may not get another chance since they are rare up here in Nova Scotia. So, I look forward to your photo. Enjoy!

Ann

Hi, WFDD,

A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum! I just saw that this is your first post in this thread.

And may I say I'm envious of ALL of you here because every single woodpecker you've talked about would be lifers for me! I'll trade you a Lewis's and a Williamson's sapsucker for a red-bellied and red-headed! ;)

Katy Penland said:
Hi, WFDD, And may I say I'm envious of ALL of you here because every single woodpecker you've talked about would be lifers for me! I'll trade you a Lewis's and a Williamson's sapsucker for a red-bellied and red-headed! ;)

It's a deal Katy, I've Fed-Exed a pair of each, they should be there in 2 business days. When can I expect the Lewis' and Williamson's?

Bill Atwood said:
It's a deal Katy, I've Fed-Exed a pair of each, they should be there in 2 business days. When can I expect the Lewis' and Williamson's?
LOL! Don't I wish! Sorry, Bill, the Lewis's have already gone for the season. You'll have to wait 'til next July 2nd when they return. I will, however, keep the reds once they arrive since I'm sure it would be far too arduous to turn right around and send them back to you. Heh heh heh......

Okay, I'm a little concerned about my eyesight. Today, I am sure I saw a "female" Red Bellied WP, when the other day I was positive it was a "male". Remember, these are rare up here in Nova Scotia. Would there be a chance that a female and male travelled together? I know I often see my little Downy WP's in pairs. Any insight?

Also... I took the advice and sprinkled my yard with peanuts. Seven large crows arrived and devoured them. Was that the fun you were talking about? <G> Well, at least they spotted the cat in the yard and I was able to scare it away. I do like crows they are fascinating, but I was hoping to attract the woodpecker. <G>

Have a great day!

Ann

Bill Atwood said:
OK Katy, I'm willing to take somethin else...got any Trogons? Or any hummer other than Rufous?
No trogons this high (I'm not in the mecca southeast but at 7,000 ft. in the northeast quadrant of the state). All the hummers have gone for the year, too, but when they're here we have black-chinned, broad-tailed, calliope and the already-rejected ruthless. Sometimes a Costa's but haven't had that one in *my* yard yet.

Um.... lessee... how about a hundred pine siskins? Or a matched set of juniper titmice?

Siskins? Naaaahhhh, they'll get here sooner or later.

Titmeeces??? Hmmmm...is that all ya got? Common, toss me a real zootie, and maybe I'll throw in Eurasian Tree Sparrow or 2.

Bill Atwood said:
Siskins? Naaaahhhh, they'll get here sooner or later.

Titmeeces??? Hmmmm...is that all ya got? Common, toss me a real zootie, and maybe I'll throw in Eurasian Tree Sparrow or 2.
Eep, don't know if I have any zooties on hand. Here's this month's yard inventory so far (in order of appearance). Take your pick:

House finch
Williamson's sapsucker
Pine siskin
Cassin's finch
Chipping sparrow
Hairy woodpecker
Pygmy nuthatch
White-breasted nuthatch
Western bluebird
Northern flicker (red-shafted)
Dark-eyed junco (red-backed, gray-headed, pink-sided and Oregon)
Mountain chickadee
American robin
Common raven
Townsend's solitaire
Steller's jay (interior race)
Scrub jay (western)
Pinyon jay
Spotted towhee
Mourning dove
Juniper titmouse
Lesser goldfinch
American goldfinch (gone now for season, sorry)
White-crowned sparrow
Hepatic tanager (also gone for season)
Green-tailed towhee
Band-tailed pigeon

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back