Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Your pick btw 8x32, 8x42, 8.5x42?

Old Tuesday 4th September 2018, 08:38   #76
oxygen

Interesting thread. I'm tossing up between the SLC and EL8x32.

My preference is smaller so that is a big plus to the EL. But it has the "glare" problems and that is a big dislike on my current bin. I do imagine it should be a lot better than a Monarch 7 so likely I wouldn't be bothered too much, if it was a problem for me at all.

The SLC sounds great optically. Having looked through a 10x and compared it with a low-mid class bin in store the brightness difference was amazing. Now my concern with the SLC, apart from weight, is focus speed. Read it is a fair bit slower than the EL and one review even said it could be a bit slow in getting on BIFs. This is probably a bigger deal breaker than occasional glare.

Thoughts?
Old Tuesday 4th September 2018, 10:10   #77
Troubador

The EL 32 has a close focus of just under 2 metres whereas the SLC is over 3 metres now that Swaro changed it. It means if you want a Swaro with a decent close focus then you have to go the EL route.

If you are a birder and nothing but a birder then this difference may be unimportant but there is so much pleasure to be had from observing nearby objects through binos it is a shame to not get every scrap of enjoyment out of your binos and 3 metres + is just not good enough. Dragonflies and butterflies and much more including life under water can be observed through binos.

If speed of focus is important to you then Zeiss's SF is noticeably faster than Swaro's EL and both Zeiss's FL 8x32 and Conquest HD 8x32 are twice as fast as the SF.

Lee
Old Wednesday 5th September 2018, 00:49   #78
oxygen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
The EL 32 has a close focus of just under 2 metres whereas the SLC is over 3 metres now that Swaro changed it. It means if you want a Swaro with a decent close focus then you have to go the EL route.

If you are a birder and nothing but a birder then this difference may be unimportant but there is so much pleasure to be had from observing nearby objects through binos it is a shame to not get every scrap of enjoyment out of your binos and 3 metres + is just not good enough. Dragonflies and butterflies and much more including life under water can be observed through binos.

If speed of focus is important to you then Zeiss's SF is noticeably faster than Swaro's EL and both Zeiss's FL 8x32 and Conquest HD 8x32 are twice as fast as the SF.

Lee
Thanks Lee.

The Conquest HD 8x32 is actually probably the third bino on the list, at less than half the price of the SV 8x32. It does seem to have a lot of fans.
Old Wednesday 5th September 2018, 01:23   #79
aCuria

Quote:

Lee

Im not sure if this is commonly known, but if you are short-sighted, and are observing something close by, removing your eyeglasses will shorten the effective close focus distance of your bins. The Zeiss SF also has a much shorter focusing distance (1.5m)
Old Wednesday 5th September 2018, 01:36   #80
PlanetMaker

Quote:

Lee
Yes, I ended up with the Zeiss 8x42 SF after having the Swaro 8x32 that was not bright enough and had the famous back glare
The Zeiss 8x42 SF also has amazing close focus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0407.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	673269  
Old Wednesday 5th September 2018, 15:57   #81
aCuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetMaker View Post
Yes, I ended up with the Zeiss 8x42 SF after having the Swaro 8x32 that was not bright enough and had the famous back glare
The Zeiss 8x42 SF also has amazing close focus
Congrats! I’m sure you will enjoy them. For the money the 8x42 SFs are better than the swaro 8x32 optically imo - larger fov and less flare.

Did you compare against the swaro 8.5x42? I never got to try those.
Old Wednesday 5th September 2018, 16:11   #82
PlanetMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCuria View Post
Congrats! Im sure you will enjoy them. For the money the 8x42 SFs are better than the swaro 8x32 optically imo - larger fov and less flare.

Did you compare against the swaro 8.5x42? I never got to try those.
I briefly tried the sv 8.5 but it was to close to my el 10x50 and the SF is so darn wide its addictive
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: