• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia IDs -- Bishoftu seasonal lake, Sept. 8 (1 Viewer)

jstanleyg

Hello all, what do you think about these ID's? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

1-2. Gull-billed Tern?
3. Yellow-billed/Intermediate Egret Egretta / Mesophoyx intermedia?
4-5. Not sure. Shore birds only seen at far distance...the wing pattern made me initially think Black-tailed Godwit, but closer looks clearly show short stubby bills even at far distance with grainy photos. Anyone with more experience than me that can figure these out?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1639.JPG
    IMG_1639.JPG
    465 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1649.JPG
    IMG_1649.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1876.JPG
    IMG_1876.JPG
    688.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1903.JPG
    IMG_1903.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1901.JPG
    IMG_1901.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 40
Also, this was taken with my phone through a scope (with no attachment), so the quality is pretty terrible.

6. Striated Heron?

Attachments

• IMG_20180909_223335.jpg
    IMG_20180909_223335.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 48
Cattle Egret and Ruff for the wader flock. Your digiscope pic looks very grey above and I wonder about Dwarf Bittern?

Thanks everyone! Pretty exciting to get a Dwarf In my sights, even if far off! (And even if I didn't know that's what it was at the time!)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back