• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow Legged or Lesser Black Backed Gull? (1 Viewer)

VG-BPI

Hi,

Two gulls here - looking for help with ID.

Gull 1 on Rock.
Gull 2 in flight.

Thanks - Victor

Attachments

• 2L8A7980 (1).JPG
    2L8A7980 (1).JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 2L8A2636.jpg
    2L8A2636.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 145
Thanks all for your comments. One was taken in Spain, the bird on the rock, and the other one in Ireland. I was definitely thinking YLG because the grey looks too pale. I wasn’t aware of what else to look for, but I know now the contrast between the feathers at the wingtips must be greater on YLG.

Appreciate the help.

Victor.

I would be cautious about #2. I think Yellow-legged Gull is pretty rare in Ireland and this single photo is not really convincing. The mantle color of gulls can change, sometimes dramatically with the light. Are there other photos?

I would be cautious about #2. I think Yellow-legged Gull is pretty rare in Ireland and this single photo is not really convincing. The mantle color of gulls can change, sometimes dramatically with the light. Are there other photos?

I also think the streaky head would be better for a "graelsii" Lesser Blackback winter bird. Yellow-legged normally keeps a white head.

Wish that I'd commented first before reading the thread, as it sounds like I'm just confirming what's already been said, but the first looks ok for YLG to me - pale, uniform mantle and unstreaked head, whereas the second with streaky head starts to suggest LBB, and a close look at the mantle suggests lighting artifacts affecting the apparent colour. The leg colour also looks distinctly different between the two birds.

Yes, #2 is Lesser Black-backed based on additional photo. So in your original post, I think there's one of each.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back