• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tom Lock series 2 (1 Viewer)

gsix14

I am looking at buying my first pair of reasonable binoculars and looking around the £100-£150 area.

I have read lots of reviews and am particularly interested in the Tom Lock series 2 8x42. Does anyone have any hands on experience with them? Any comparisons with other similar priced binoculars would be helpful.

I wear glasses so need reasonable eye relief.

Thanks,
Tim

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Tom Lock 2 8x42

I am looking at buying my first pair of reasonable binoculars and looking around the £100-£150 area.

I have read lots of reviews and am particularly interested in the Tom Lock series 2 8x42. Does anyone have any hands on experience with them? Any comparisons with other similar priced binoculars would be helpful.

Thanks,
Tim

I have a pair of these which I got from Amazon i December. I wear specs and there is plenty of eye relief. They are pretty hefty, optically seem fine although I'm not 100% about whether the have PC coatings. Image seems nice and bright and pretty even across the field. They were to replace a set of 8x40 Optolyth Alpin porro's from 1979 so I can't compare the Tom Lock's to anything similar - I also have a 8x25 set of Olympus bins, which are phase corrected. Build quality on the TL's is pretty solid, although so far they have only had light use
Hope this helps
Steve (new member)

Hi Tim & Steve,

first of all, welcome to BF!

I can't really comment on those bins as I don't know them - though the available reviews are quite rave...

Regarding phase coating or not - this can easily be tested at home:

- hold the binoculars in front of a white LCD screen so that the eyepieces point to the screen and you look into the objective lens.

- hold a pair of polaroid sunglasses or the ones from the 3d cinema (the light plastic ones you can take home, NOT heavier shutter glasses!) or another linear polarizer in front of the objective.

- rotate the polarizer and observe the image.

If you can see a black and a white half-circle at some point, the bins are not phase coated. With a phase coated pair on the other hand you should see the whole circle going dark at the same time (and maybe a thin line, which is the roof edge).

Joachim

Thanks,
Tim

Hi, gsix14:

Welcome to our little band of misfits; the more the merrier! Those who are new to my sick humor ... I mean “humour,” often take me to be a snotball when, in fact, I’m just trying to help ... in my own skewed way, of course.

You asked about a “reasonable” binocular. And while that is a totally rational question, I think you should at least be aware that such words as:

Reasonable,
Quality,
Good,
Great,
Fair,
Affordable,
Inexpensive,
and the like, are ALL SUBJECTIVE TERMS and each member of this—or any other binocular forum—will have their own definition for each. Fortunately, the bell curve will assure you that most of those members will understand your desire and will steer you in a productive direction. Sadly, we have all seen members who start pontificating on what IS or IS NOT this or that when, in fact, they are clueless and just like hearing their heads rattle or to be perceived as an expert in optics. All that glitters is most certainly not gold.

Occasionally, I’ll sell a bino on Eagle Bait, and while seeing where my bino might fit in with others on the market, I will see dozens of ads promoting “VINTAGE” binoculars. These might be a 5x36 Dolland from 1919, a Carl Zeiss, Jena from 1905, or a 6x42 US Navy MK 43 from 1942. More often than not, the seller is using the word “vintage” to describe an out of collimation Jason or TASCO zoom from the early 60s, when the words “old” or “junk” might be technically more accurate. Most of these folks are not intentionally misleading. They have just come to see that affixing “vintage” to the ad verbiage will bring them ~25% closer to the sale they are looking for (preposition at the end and all).

Finally, it might be beneficial for you to know that in a cross-section of 1,000 binoculars coming from Asia—and many binoculars carrying European names are now coming from Asia—you would find almost all are coming from only a handful of OEMs. For example, the Swift Seahawk was also the Fujinon AR (Nautilus), the Bushnell Navigator, and the Simmon’s .... The Adlerbick Fernglasser (made by Carton in Japan) was also the Swift Ultralite, the Celestron Ultima, and ....

I haven’t a clue who Tom Lock is, or anything about products carrying his name. But, I do know that if you have $500 USD and two empty suitcases, you can come back from Tokyo, Japan or Kunming, China as the mogul selling gsix14 binoculars. :cat:

I’ll crawl back into my hole, now. Again, welcome!

Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back