• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tele-Vue APO 85? (1 Viewer)

Blue Lodi

I have read many reviews on the various Tel-Vue Scopes, especially the APO 85, but have not had the opportunity to actually use one nor have I even seen one in use in the field. I'm going to purchase a "scope of my lifetime" in the very near future and the rave reviews given the optics of the TV APO 85 have intrigued me. But why have I never seen one in use at any of the " Birding Hotspots" that I've visited? Swaros, Kowas, Nikons and Ziess in abundance but no Tel-Vues. Are they so unhandy in the field that it over rides the reported superior view? Or is the reported superior view just at matter of degrees. I have all but settled on the TV Apo 85 or Zeiss, but Any advice on or experience with the Tele-Vue scope would be very helpful. Thanks

Cheers
B.L

Last edited:
I've looked thru a 76, not an 85, and the look was truly stunningl! However, carrying a 9 pound scope plus a 4-7 pound tripod, makes for 13-16 pounds to carry, plus throw in another 3-4 pounds for some kind of portable hooped shelter in case of rain (it is not waterproof) makes for some serious weight-carrying for field use. If weight and lack of waterproofness are not issues, then go with it! I personally would go with a 76 if I wanted a great birding scope that I could also use for astronomy.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back