• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Locustella? Of spain (1 Viewer)

Hi Juancar,
Are there any other images of this bird? It seems more like a Eurasian Reed Warbler to me, note the tail shape, dark alula and the precise head pattern, but I'd like to see another image or two if available.
Regards,
Harry

Hi Juancar,
Are there any other images of this bird? It seems more like a Eurasian Reed Warbler to me, note the tail shape, dark alula and the precise head pattern, but I'd like to see another image or two if available.
Regards,
Harry

The UTC’s appear to end at the tail tip Harry?

The UTC’s appear to end at the tail tip Harry?

Possibly, hence why I'd like to see another pic if possible. If that feature is real and not due to an odd angle, it would overrule any passing resemblance to a Reed Warbler. I can see the appeal, and it may well be a Savi's, but this one image is playing with my head! ;)

no way is this a savi's. it's an acro and as such most probably a reed warbler.

Thanks for backing up my initial gut feeling, Lou! I looked at lots of pics of Savi's in autumn, not having seen the species much at that season, but the head pattern of the subject bird isn't matched by any that I could find, whereas it seems typical of a Eurasian Reed Warbler.

I can see where Ken is coming from, but I don't think that the undertail coverts are as long as they might seem here. Especially as they almost seem too long for Savi's as well, if taken at face value.

Regards,
Harry

no way is this a savi's. it's an acro and as such most probably a reed warbler.

I don’t know how you can dismiss what appears to be UTC’s to the tail end, when it’s “tonal” value matches the underparts “exactly”, about as different as the surrounding reed blades as you could get.

Last edited:
locustella ? of spain

I don’t know how you can dismiss what appears to be UTC’s to the tail end, when it’s “tonal” value matches the underparts “exactly”, about as different as the surrounding reed blades as you could get.

i only have another foto, but is no good...

IMG_7430.JPG

Looks to be another picture of the same bird posted earlier by the same observer of a Reed Warbler, asking again if it is a Locustella? Not a Savi's for me.

As of yet, no one has given an explanation regarding the length, or even existence of the UTC’s. not an artefact?

yes, another foto ...the same bird.
I have been asked for another photo and here it is
thanks

Apologies, yes thanks for the last image, albeit one that doesn’t help to resolve the issue. Still a Savi’s for me juancar, until someone can demonstrably and unequivocally explain the “barrel” of mottled UTC’s that project to the tail tip.
On a Reed Warbler from rear of flanks to the end of...they would be contrastingly pale unlike the subject bird. :t:

Another vote for Reed Warbler. I think the UTC issue is an artefact of the photo (I'm not even convinced you can see the relevant areas well enough to make that assessment!).

Another vote for Reed Warbler. I think the UTC issue is an artefact of the photo (I'm not even convinced you can see the relevant areas well enough to make that assessment!).

That would be an “artefact” too far for me, presumably the Reed blades are also an artefact, and whilst we’re there...throw in the bird as well? :smoke:

I think the " barrel of mottled UTCs" is partly shadow, from a reed stem, especially the first broad darker area on the side flank behind the alula - the rest of the undertail coverts that we can see just dont demonstrate the pattern for me. I can see what you are pertaining to Ken, but remain unconvinced, just not sure that those longish u t coverts extend as far back as the photo suggests as its head / side on.

I think the " barrel of mottled UTCs" is partly shadow, from a reed stem, especially the first broad darker area on the side flank behind the alula - the rest of the undertail coverts that we can see just dont demonstrate the pattern for me. I can see what you are pertaining to Ken, but remain unconvinced, just not sure that those longish u t coverts extend as far back as the photo suggests as its head / side on.

Sorry Roy, I just don’t see it, the underparts to my eye are too bright and continuously seamless to the tail end.

Cheers

That would be an “artefact” too far for me, presumably the Reed blades are also an artefact, and whilst we’re there...throw in the bird as well? :smoke:

The bird has a dark alula, which eliminates Savi's Warbler straight away.

Trying to claim anything based on the relative length/ratio of the tail/UTS'c is a moot point (and based on a single images, taken at an odd angle, and only half the tail being visible!).

Furthermore, Reed Warbler (by some margin) would be statistically be much more likely than Savi's

Isn't the tip of the tail hidden behind the reed leaf?
I think the leaf and the position of the wing is creating an illusion making it look like you are seeing the tail side-on, when you're actually seeing only the uppertail coverts and part of the upper side of the tail. Thus, trying to claim the length of the undertail coverts is not possible on this photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back