• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vixen Atrek 8x32 DCF Roof Prism Binocular: a very light 8x32 (1 Viewer)

Kevin Purcell

Browsing around and I came across these bins.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=5146

Field of View 342 feet/1000 yards (6.5 degrees)
Eye Relief 18 mm
Close Focus 3.3 feet
Weight 13.4 oz
Dimensions (HxW) 4.3 x 4.6 inches
Weatherproofing Waterproof/Fogproof

The interesting thing is their weight ... at 13.4 oz they are the lightest 8x32 bins I've seen.

Perhaps a candidate for the "always carry bin with a reasonable exit pupil"

Not cheap. VNA don't have any on sale. Not even phase coated. Phase coating is not mentioned even at the Vixen japanese site (in English!) but is for other models.

http://www.vixen.co.jp/English/bandfs/atrek_e.html

But interesting.

Misprint?

It isn't like we haven't seen that rear its ugly head before. 18.4 would be more believable but even then they would be one of the lightest in their class.

;)

Interesting point, Frank.

And even more interesting, Norm. Vixen are a known serial OEM (or rather a brand that is now OEMed by Bosma) so Opticron (the UK OEM rebadgers ... you can tell by the black and white stripes on the muzzles of the optics designers) would be a obvious choice for the "same" bin (except for cosmetics perhaps). And the spec matches up even the odd weight and the very close focus.

The Opticron is phase-coated but that would be a menu pick at the OEM, I think. Vixen also sell their Apex range which is PC so perhaps they didn't want to muddy the waters.

For a Brit (well a UK resident, as I'm a Brit) that would be a rather good buy for a portable 8x32.

Has it been reviewed?

In the spotting scopes section a connection has been made between a few Opticron and Vixen models; most obvious being the distinctive looking Vixen Geoma 52 and Opticron Might Midget (version 2).

I'm guessing the 8x32 must be a more recent introduction than the larger models. The 8x42 Discovery was tested by Kikkert Spesialisten AS and the results suggested it was a pretty reasonable performer for its modest price. tezza_v has already tried to find 8x32 reviews without success but, with a bit of luck will offer an opinion sometime :
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=123416

OPTICRON Discovery 8 x 32 Roof Prism

Perhaps as tezza_v mentioned, they were good value at £99, (from where?) but never got round to purchasing them, or was unimpressed to post a review. They have been available for about 9 months in the UK. First glance they are without doubt, small and lightweight against other brands marketing the same spec (8x32).....some units I've handled have not shown a consistency within the focus wheel operation - noticably take up slack, high sticking points, occassional seizing or severe stiffness - perhaps this was a batch but nonetheless, offputting.

Obviously, despite the price suggestion and overall marketing as a good value bino, it is a downside that becomes a no - no to a prospective buyer when tested/handled....even at £99 (r.r.p. £129) you shouldn't have to go through a batch to find a good one.

Not a review as such , rather a hands on comment I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back