• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D mkII problem. (1 Viewer)

Tom Lawson

I recently had a day out photographing with the 7D mkII. I shot about 400 RAW images on a 16GB CF card which I had used previously,and regularly checked the images on the camera LCD as the day progresssed. In the evening I put the card into a card-reader to download the images into my computer and was very surprised to read on the screen that the 'card is inaccessible'. I put the card back in the camera,but got the same message on the camera LCD. Has anybody else had this happen,why has it happened,and how can I retrieve the images? I have taken further photographs with the camera and a CF card with no further problem.
Tom Lawson.

If the camera subsequently works fine with another card then it suggests the problem is not a 7D2 issue.
The same happened to me recently and it was the card which had basically died a death. There are programmes to retrieve data but I don't know how successful they are.
I was quoted £120 or so by a data recovery rip off merchant to retrieve the images, a service that I politely declined.
Regards.

I had this happen to me a while back and it was a faulty card. They're not perfect so hopefully you will be ok.
Retrieving the info is a bit of a headache to be honest, I reluctantly just moved on annoying though it was.
Not a lot of help but my experience for what it's worth.

I had this happen to me a while back and it was a faulty card. They're not perfect so hopefully you will be ok.
Retrieving the info is a bit of a headache to be honest, I reluctantly just moved on annoying though it was.
Not a lot of help but my experience for what it's worth.

Same for me - faulty CF crd. I usually now set the SD card to a 2nd copy of the images. Bit after the horse has bolted of course.

Phil

Hi,
Yes probably a card problem.
I have used Recuva many times to recover data
https://www.piriform.com/recuva
Just download the free version.
If you can't get the images back on the first try, format the card and then have another go .... sounds counterintuative I know but has worked for me ... after all you have nothing to loose.

I unwittingly purchased some Sandisk cards from Ebay that were counterfeit. Very difficult to tell for the untrained eye. 2 out of 3 failed in similar circumstances to yours, the 3rd went in the bin.

I unwittingly purchased some Sandisk cards from Ebay that were counterfeit. Very difficult to tell for the untrained eye. 2 out of 3 failed in similar circumstances to yours, the 3rd went in the bin.

It was a Sandisk bought through Amazon.It all looked genuine! Anyway thanks for the help guys. I will try the recovery software mentioned and see how I get on. I thought formatting the card would delete all the pictures,but presumably it is like a hard disc.They are still on it if you can somehow access them!
Tom Lawson.

Is it possible for you to connect your camera directly to the computer, then download the images directly to the computer from the camera?

I don't know whether this will work, but it might be worth trying.

Regards

Is it possible for you to connect your camera directly to the computer, then download the images directly to the computer from the camera?

I don't know whether this will work, but it might be worth trying.

Regards

Someone else from Llandudno. Hi Cliff!

The problem it seems is with the memory card not the camera so it doesn't make any difference if the card is read through the camera or a card reader.

The Sandisk card I had that were counterfeited were easy to spot once you knew how.
Some info here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/FAKE-SanDisk-Extreme-Compact-Flash-Cards-Exposed-/10000000001456526/g.html

I recently had a 64GB SanDisk CF card fail. I rang SanDisk to find out what software they had to help and was pleasantly surprised when they offered a free replacement (after some checks to ensure it wasn't a fake). Took some time to come through, but very good service in my opinion.

So - might be worthwhile checking with card manufacturer before throwing away?

Michael.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back