• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California (Pt Reyes, Sequoia, Monterey...) in October (1 Viewer)

xav

Hello!

I'll be visiting California in October (12th - 27th); we'll visit the following areas:
- Point Reyes
- Sequoia NP
- Monterey / Big Sur
- San Francisco

Any recommendations on specific places to visit at that period of the year to watch nice birds (& mammals)?

Thanks!

:scribe:

Hello!

I'll be visiting California in October (12th - 27th); we'll visit the following areas:
- Point Reyes
- Sequoia NP
- Monterey / Big Sur
- San Francisco

Any recommendations on specific places to visit at that period of the year to watch nice birds (& mammals)?

Thanks!

:scribe:

I'll leave the bird advice to the others but I might be able to help with the mammals. Do you have any particular targets?

Point Reyes is one of the best places in the world to look for Bobcat. I saw two by slowly driving the roads late afternoon. It's also great for Brush Rabbit, Coyote, Elk and River Otter. Sea Otter, Harbour Seal and California Sea Lion are guaranteed in Monterey Harbour, while Humpback Whales are almost certain if you take a whale watching trip in October (along with the possibility of other species).

Let me know if you have any specific mammal targets. My trip report from a mammal watching trip to California last October can be found below

http://mammalwatching.com/Nearctic/Otherreports/MR Central California 2015.pdf

Hope this helps.

Mike,

thanks for your answer & informations!!!

I hope we'll see the Bobcat in Point Reyes! That would be awesome.

We'll definitively do a whale watching trip (or a pelagic birding trip, where it's possible to spot whales).
And we'll also look for sea otters, seals, sea lions, Elephant seals,...

Also, any advices to watch bears in the Sequoia NP region (we'll stay in Three Rivers)?

THANKS!!!!

Mike,

thanks for your answer & informations!!!

I hope we'll see the Bobcat in Point Reyes! That would be awesome.

We'll definitively do a whale watching trip (or a pelagic birding trip, where it's possible to spot whales).
And we'll also look for sea otters, seals, sea lions, Elephant seals,...

Also, any advices to watch bears in the Sequoia NP region (we'll stay in Three Rivers)?

THANKS!!!!

You have an excellent chance of Bobcat at Point Reyes in October. Just drive slowly and keep scanning the fields.

There is an Elephant Seal colony at Point Reyes, otherwise they're very easy to see south of Monterey at Piedras Blancas.

I've never visited Sequoia but I understand it's good for bears. Years ago park dumpsters were the place to see bears but these days all garbage bins are bear proof and animals are made to feel very unwelcome if they forage around people. Most bear sightings are now random but you can increase your chances of spotting one by scanning distant hillsides and meadows, especially at dawn. Otherwise driving through neighbouring small towns very late at night (or very early in the morning) is a good way to find them as enter in search of less secure garbage.

Hope you have a good trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back