• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope & Tripod Carrying Bag (1 Viewer)

Bob D

I've tried unsuccessfully to locate a bag that will hold a spotting scope with a tripod. A friend has one that has a sling on it that allows the scope to be carried crosswise across the back. The area where the sling passes over the shoulder is about 5" wide permitting a comfortable field carry. The bag has a full zip and enough space to throw in a water bottle and a field guide. The bag holds an 80 mm objective scope with a full sized typical tripod that is used for a straight thru eyepiece. As you can surmise, it is no longer manufactured--or if it is, it is under another name. A Google has been unsuccessful, by specific and general.

He travels by airplane extensively (a lister/twitcher) chasing birds and the scope and tripod in the bgag goes as carry-on luggage. He also carries in the bag a lighter scope/tripod setup when he bicycles.

I've seen the back pack type scope/tripod carriers and they are not for me. I often carry my scope on long hikes using a sling on the tripod. However, unless I reasonably sure that I will use a scope it stays in the car. Whereas he is more likely to take his scope along. The disadvantage of a sling is that it balances best with the scope down. If the foliage is long it does not work out well.

I'm hoping that some one knows of such a bag that is available.

Thanks,

Bob

I asked a similar question once,but never found anything really suitable.Had to settle for a holdall from WalMart.
Hopefully someone from America will come up with an answer before too long,Bob.

Why not try a violincell case?

It will be treated with silk cloves wherever you go and you will be able to fit both scope and tripod inside plus a lot of other useful gear.

Just an idea I got recently while contemplating over the same problem. Bought new (bigger) scope and tripod...

Cheers, Jens.

Thanks for the replies. It appears that one is not available on the other side of the pond either.

A friend's wife made such a case. Perhaps that is what I will end up having done.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back