• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Vs Leica (1 Viewer)

Gaukur,
I said it to Binni and I'll say it to you,
selling your Leica in order to buy Zeiss sounds to me like selling a Mercedes-Benz and buying a Toyota!
However, I look forward to looking through your Zeiss if I come up to Húsavík this year!!

Hi Edward;
I do think I will do much better with the Zeiss than the non-APO Leica, especially in Digiscoping. APO-Leica is horribly expensive here in Iceland so hardly an option! I also prefer a Toyota rather than Mercedes! You should seriously consider Zeiss for your self!

Initial finding from my experience with the 85fl is that it is brighter than the Leica apo77 and the zoom e.p. is better in terms of field of view.... at higher zoom mags it resolves slightly more detail. In fact the zoom e.p. is as good as I've seen .... o.k. so there's fractional edge distortion on the zoom @ 20x because they have gone for wider f.o.v. but that's not a real problem, certainly in digiscoping.
Major benefit of the 85fl is it's compact size and lack of weight vs the heavy Leica.
I haven't digiscoped with the APO77 so it would be unfair for me to compare between the two scopes.
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back