• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 6x30 YF30 vs. Leupold 6x30 BX-1 vs. Bushnell 7x36 Excursion (1 Viewer)

chris6

United Kingdom
6x30 Leupold Yosemite BX-1 482g, field@1000m 420ft £95 incl.p&p

6x30 Kowa YF30.................470g, field@1000m 420ft £115 incl.p&p

7x36 Bushnell Excursion EX...576g, field@1000m 410ft £115 incl.p&P

I thought the two porros had a marginally better definition/contrast in the centre than the Bushnell but all were equally bright, although the roof prism Bushnell may be a little warmer.

The view with the Bushnell appears somewhat larger and less restricted because of the greater magnification, a slightly wider field of view (in contradiction to the figures), and because focus was better towards the circumference:
the focus of the two porros goes off at about 50% of the radius but Bushnell is ok to 60%.

It was no surprise that the Leupold and Kowa gave identical views as far as I could tell, but the mouldings for the body and for the eyecup and dioptre adjustments, the focus wheel, and lens covers were different.
Although the focus adjustments of both 6x30s were rather stiff, which might wear off, I preferred the more normal ribbed focus wheel on the Leupold.
The different eyecup adjustment on Leupold was sloppy and imprecise compared to that for the Kowa which was markedly more positive and quite satisfactory.
On the Bushnell the focus wheel was light and smooth to operate, and could be clicked towards the bridge to lock the adjustment.

The plastic objective lens covers of the Kowa were simply popped into place and could be attached to the strap with a split slot in a tab.
On the Leupold and Bushnell the caps were attached by hinged rings to the barrels,
on the latter the rings were rather loose-fitting on the barrels, and this lack of security was exaggerated by the shorter free length of the barrels.

Bushnell provided a light stitched bag with a drawstring instead of a the padded pouch of the porros, as well as a nice semi-hard case with carrying rings.
It also included a wide neckstrap with clips and a narrower one, which is presumably for the binoculars themselves, together with an elasticated harness with clips.
The Leupold has neat attachment clips on the neck strap.

On balance I would choose the Bushnell for its view, which feels slightly more open, and the impression it gives of being less 'plastic', but it was obtained at a greater apparent discount. At official prices, whatever they are ;) it may not fit into the same category.

These lighter binocluars would be easier to carry for long periods but I still prefer the Nikon 7x35 Ex for its equivalent image quality with a wider field of view, 534ft, and in spite of its greater weight and bulk at 800g.
Perhaps at £99 the discount was also greater than that for the Kowa, or even the Leupold which I could only find being offered by two suppliers in uk: Uttings Ltd. and Sportsmans Gun Centre.

Last edited:
Chris,
Thanks for the nice comparison. I'd wondered about the Kowa vs Leupold. I briefly tried a Yosemite 8x30 and it was bright and clear. Certainly the coatings are good, but the eyecups were as you say.
Ron

Bushnell 7x36 Field of View = 451ft @ 1000metres

Correction re Bushnell 7x36 Field of View:-

In Frank D's popular thread about Sightron "Blue Sky" II 8x32 http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793&highlight=bushnell+7x36&page=7 it came out that Excursion/Chuck Adams Bowhunter Excursion 7x36, may be the same as Vortex Diamondback 7x36, and that different Fields of View had ben given by Bushnell for the Excursion 7x36. Mine also has just '451ft' on the label on the focus knob but it has 410ft @ 1000yds on the box.

The field seems most usually to be quoted as either meters or feet @ 1000metres, (not @ 1000yds which is a lesser rate), and the conversion factor is a not insignificant 1000/1093.3, i.e. nearly 10%.

No excuse really, but it would have been more consistent for the text on the Bushnell Excursion 7x36 box to have given the field as '451ft @1000metres', which must surely be the rate which is used, but not quoted, on the focus knob.

I sold on my Yosemite 6x30s because the eye relief was 'forced':
sort of like a gun site, the view winked out if my eyes weren't placed right.
It was easier to use with glasses than without. Odd.

I am curious about the Kowa....I want to try out a pair somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back