• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma Lens Prices (1 Viewer)

Apparently Sigma has just announced a 50/1.4 with the EX designation. So the fact that these lenses don't have it could indicate that they are not quite top drawer standard...

Thomas

I doubt Sigma have anything to gain by releasing an inferior lens. Over the past few years their reputation has improved and whilst some of us will never buy a third party lens its great to see affordable alternatives being offered.

Apparently Sigma has just announced a 50/1.4 with the EX designation. So the fact that these lenses don't have it could indicate that they are not quite top drawer standard...

Thomas
I did read that Sigma were quoted as saying that from now on only Prime lenses would get the EX badge. If true it would seem a strange strategy.

That's £482 for the 150-500 in the USA, compare that to £750 in rip off Britain!!!...|=@|

Bill

Well someone has to pay for the pointless military expenditure in Iraq/Afghanistan and the grossly inefficient health/welfare system I suppose.

Japan prices are slightly cheaper than the US (but the falling $ may change that).

I'll be back in the UK for a vist after a 3 year absence next week. I'm preparing to be shocked by prices.........

Well someone has to pay for the pointless military expenditure in Iraq/Afghanistan and the grossly inefficient health/welfare system I suppose.
The members on Bird Forum should be above political garbage like this.

The price differential between Japan/Usa and the rest of the world (it is not just the UK) has been there long before the Iraq business. It has been highlighted more in recent years because of the weakness of the Dollar against the GBP. I have seen many post from people all over the world who complain about the prices compared to the States.
The pricing policies will be set by the Camera/lens manufactures themselves

Last edited:
It wasn't meant seriously. Chill out.

Oh and please don't tell me what I 'should' say and think either.
You can say or think what you like but I still reckon the Bird Forum is not the place to peddle political views - you obviously do. Maybe the mods could set-up a politics section just for you. ;););)

You can say or think what you like but I still reckon the Bird Forum is not the place to peddle political views - you obviously do. Maybe the mods could set-up a politics section just for you. ;););)

Nah Roy I'm completely apathetic..........except perhaps when it would cost me money..........

It was just a flippant comment (not even I'm odd enough to start a political debate on a birdwatching forum in a thread about telephoto lenses). You have to admit VAT is a bit high though.

Flippancy aside it must be a little grating to live in the UK and see how much (or rather how little) some other countries' prices are, especially optics. Will there ever be any kind of consumer backlash I wonder?

Nah Roy I'm completely apathetic..........except perhaps when it would cost me money..........

It was just a flippant comment (not even I'm odd enough to start a political debate on a birdwatching forum in a thread about telephoto lenses). You have to admit VAT is a bit high though.

Flippancy aside it must be a little grating to live in the UK and see how much (or rather how little) some other countries' prices are, especially optics. Will there ever be any kind of consumer backlash I wonder?
I agree that VAT is high Stu but I think it has been at 17.5 % for at least 15 years if not more.
What I do find strange is that the cost of Cameras is not a lot different - e.g. B&H 40D body $1140 current, UK price £629 minus £100 cashback comes to £529. This would appear to be a marketing ploy by the likes of Canon who know that we all have to buy lenses to go with out DSLR's ( something like near giving away Inkjet printers and then charging the earth for replacement ink ). I think that market forces will always mean that the largest market in the World (US) will always give the most competitive prices.
Short of not buying any lenses I do not think there is a lot we can do about it.

PS What I am really looking forward to are the reviews of the 150-500. When they were announced I was thinking in terms of £1200-£1500 but with the prices being so cheap ;) I will be surprised if the IQ will be that good, time will tell.

Last edited:
PS What I am really looking forward to are the reviews of the 150-500. When they were announced I was thinking in terms of £1200-£1500 but with the prices being so cheap ;) I will be surprised if the IQ will be that good, time will tell.

I think lots of people are waiting for these reviews.

I've been using a friend's Canon 100-400 all winter but have to return it soon and go back to my 70-300 (ooh the pain).

Later this year (when I can afford it) I'll be in the market for a long lens. A new Canon 100-400 is a bit too pricey. If these Sigmas are any good I'll get one for sure. I mean they're half the price of the Canon.........of course I expect the Canon will still be the better option IQ-wise but by how much? That's the big question.

I could probably accept a heavier less robust lens that needed to be stepped down a bit and had a slightly lower % of keepers at those prices.

I think lots of people are waiting for these reviews.

I've been using a friend's Canon 100-400 all winter but have to return it soon and go back to my 70-300 (ooh the pain).

Later this year (when I can afford it) I'll be in the market for a long lens. A new Canon 100-400 is a bit too pricey. If these Sigmas are any good I'll get one for sure. I mean they're half the price of the Canon.........of course I expect the Canon will still be the better option IQ-wise but by how much? That's the big question.

I could probably accept a heavier less robust lens that needed to be stepped down a bit and had a slightly lower % of keepers at those prices.

I already have a Canon 400mm f5.6 which is a cracking good lens but I could do with a bit more reach at times which is why I am looking at the 500mm. Trouble with the Canon 500mm f4 is the weight which is a big issue for my style (not to mention the £4k cost). With the new Siggy I am only really interested in the IQ at 500mm, with weight being only around 1.9kg it would be perfect for me as I tend to be a walker that takes along a Camera. The Sigma 500mm f4.5 is a very nice lens but again is a bit weighty for me at 3.15kg.

I already have a Canon 400mm f5.6 which is a cracking good lens but I could do with a bit more reach at times which is why I am looking at the 500mm. Trouble with the Canon 500mm f4 is the weight which is a big issue for my style (not to mention the £4k cost). With the new Siggy I am only really interested in the IQ at 500mm, with weight being only around 1.9kg it would be perfect for me as I tend to be a walker that takes along a Camera. The Sigma 500mm f4.5 is a very nice lens but again is a bit weighty for me at 3.15kg.

Roy,

My 'hands on' impression of the Sigma 150-500 is of a well balanced lens, and considering the range it covers it's ergonomic too, the finish seemed of a very good quality, if the optics/IQ can complement the other parameters we may be in for a pretty decent lens, that will suit 'walker photographers' such as yourself, lets at least hope so.

Regards,

Bill

Camera & Lens

Does anyone know the best place to purchase a 70 -300 lens canon and a 400d camera?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back