• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which adapter? (1 Viewer)

Ashley beolens

Breeding the next generation of birders.
I am now saving for the CP4500, but would like some advice on the other things needed to go with it, which adapter is best? (Andy I have read and re-read your digi pages and still I can't figure it out) I have checked the websites for each product and am still lost.:-C

Also what other extras are usefull/needed? I asume a remote device of some type for the actual shutter release and some kind of flash. Any help is much appreciated and needed;)

Cheers in advance.

Ashley,
Just got the CP4500, and the LCE adaptor, both from LCE in Strand. Also got 1 spare battery and IBM 1gig microdrive (holds approx 550 shots - should last a while !!).
Got the Jessop's cable release adaptor and cable release - fits OK, but you have to be careful setting it up as the bracket under the camera can foul the rotating lens assembly - Andy says he's trimmed his with a hacksaw, but I've not got that drastic yet !
Spent a long time reading the manual, and playing with it - a great advantage over film ! Weather should improve tomorrow, so I may be able to use it out of doors for the first time - shots through the kitchen window have a strange ethereal soft-focus quality !
HTH

Tony

Ashley,
Microdrive is like a high-capacity Flash Memory card - fits Nikon, but not my Canon, but does fit inside my USB Flash Card Reader, which is a great advantage, so I don't have to connect the camera to the PC every time I want to transfer pix.

The entire setup (camera, microdrive, spare rechargeable battery, spare non-rechargeable battery [just in case] came to £855 - I paid cash, asked for discount, and got it for £800, so it was basically VAT-free. Add to that, of course, the train fare to London, the food and drink I had while down there, the other shopping I did which I would not otherwise have done, and I doubt I saved a penny really !
I got the cable release adapter and cable release in Jessops of Norwich - their web site said 'to special order', but they fortunately had one in stock. Adapter £19.99, Cable release £6.95. Again fares, food and other shopping (three ducks in flight, amongst other things) bumped up the cost on the day.

Tony

Its gonna take a lot of pennies then! Cheers, not sure if i'd need the microdrive just yet but sounds an impressive peice of kit.

Thanks for the advice

Sorry that my adapter reviews are a bit vague on who's is best. My own favourite is the L.C.E. adapter (usually about £50, but £70 for Kowa 20-60x eyepiece). The finish of the L.C.E. adapter has improved recently, now anodised black and with smoother edges. Eagle Eye's digimount works well but is a bit large for the job and can take slightly more time in attaching to the scope.

I was talking to Trevor at L.C.E. today and he is currently importing an adapter from Finland (they're mad on digiscoping over there!), this is quite expensive at £110, but sounds like a very nice adapter. It uses the same principal as the Nikon adapter (that can only be used on Nikon MC eyepieces), in that a collar is left permanetly fixed to the eyepiece and this mates with the adapter on the camera lens.... it mates very rapidly and also incorperates a cut-out to allow operation of a zoom eyepiece with the camera attached (like Mr Cheang's design). I'll be getting one to review in the near future.
If you don't use a zoom eyepiece, the original L.C.E. adapter is definitely a good choice.... it's also the cheapest around.

Nikon remote is expensive and slow in operation.... though some get on with it. Jessops adapter is cheap and reliable but looks a bit untidy.... I have been spotted using my mouth to operate a manual cable-release, allowing two hands free to focus scope and pan the scope on to an active subject....I'd enjoy seeing someone do this with the Nikon remote! I spent a couple of years not using a remote, so it's not compulsory.

The microdrive is a bit of a power eater... with a few question marks over fragility and reliability (basically a mini hardrive), especially with the rugged demands of life in the field. It's power requirements are quite high, so not sure if it's entirely suitable to be used with the cp4500 with the dual force pro power pack..... which is already slightly under-supplying to the camera.
I'd advise standard compact flash cards (Lexar are my choice).... several of these at 64mb or 128mb is a safe bet, lose one and it's not the end of the world.... lose/damage a big 512kb flash card or microdrive wouldn't be much fun.
Regards,
Andy B

Hi Ashley,
If you settle with the Coolpix 4500 or have settled, have a look at my website to see how to make a DIY adapter for this camera. I know DIY is not everybodies cup of tea but its an alternative to buying an expensive adapter and it may stir up ideas you had for making one yourself. There is also a bit of advice from my own experiences with digiscoping that you may find useful, you will find me at
http://www.digiscoping-uk.co.uk
Regards
Stan

Hi again Ashley,
I should have mentioned that the adapters are for the Leica APO Televid 77 and the Opticron Classic
Look at the digiscoping page to see these adapters.
It is accessable now.
Stan

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back