• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birmingham City Centre (2 Viewers)

Forgot to post that I heard what appeared to be a Tree Pipit over Jennens Road one morning (possibly Tuesday?) earlier in the week. A very strange record but couldn't think what else it could be :h?:

Mimicing starling? Even then it would be quite a remarkable sound to mimic though. Can't see why not a Tripit really, there's been Wheatear and the like in the past hasn't there?

Last edited:
A few years ago i did a weeks tree work in the Kinver area and during that period a local Starling learnt to mimic my chain-saw 'idling' on tickover - nothing surprises me with them......

Laurie:t:

GBB Gull over Aston Science Park this evening as I walked back to the car - cant consciously recall ever seeing one in the city centre

Had a Grey Heron at Warwick Bar stop lock on the Digbeth Branch Canal near Typhoo Basin this morning. Seemed out of place but was nice to see en route to work.

Last edited:
Another common one but another nice one, Blackcap singing near River Rea on Digbeth branch.

Last edited:
Lots of new life down the Digbeth branch. 2 Juv. Moorhens, Canada's look to be sitting in a few locations, Great Tit's in a couple of boxs feeding young and Grey Wags look to be a pair feeding around the Typhoo basin area. Not seen or heard any Mythical Chats yet though...

Hi folks I'm new on here. I need to know when my Blue Tits will fledge I have been watching for the last 2, 3 days but the adults are still bringing in food. I thought they would have all fled the nest by now. I have seen the adult sitting on the Lilac tree adjacent to the nest box he/she has been going beserk I thought they were trying to entice the chicks out but alas I am still waiting.

Can any of you experts give me any clues? Also do the chicks fledge at any particular time of day ie morning evening?

Last edited:
Hi folks I'm new on here. I need to know when my Blue Tits will fledge I have been watching for the last 2, 3 days but the adults are still bringing in food. I thought they would have all fled the nest by now. I have seen the adult sitting on the Lilac tree adjacent to the nest box he/she has been going beserk I thought they were trying to entice the chicks out but alas I am still waiting.

Can any of you experts give me any clues? Also do the chicks fledge at any particular time of day ie morning evening?

The British Trust for Ornithology advises that Blue Tits fledge 18 to 21 days after hatching: http://blx1.bto.org/birdfacts/results/bob14620.htm#demography

Can any of you experts give me any clues?

Hi treetop, I am not an expert but I have been watching Springwatch and they have a blue tit nest, and theirs have not fledged yet either!! They suggest they will fledge tomorrow!! So keep an eye out and let us know!! (I saw a blue tit busy feeding it's young in Brum last Sunday, you got me wondering now if they have fledged yet). Again I'm no expert but I would suggest they will fledge early in the day? Let us know, thanks!!

Last edited:
Hi treetop, I am not an expert but I have been watching Springwatch and they have a blue tit nest, and theirs have not fledged yet either!! They suggest they will fledge tomorrow!! So keep an eye out and let us know!! (I saw a blue tit busy feeding it's young in Brum last Sunday, you got me wondering now if they have fledged yet). Again I'm no expert but I would suggest they will fledge early in the day? Let us know, thanks!!

Yes Zomer, I've been watching it too. The wife isn't happy with me watching it especially after the jackdaw & magpies had those poor rabbits. She seems to think they (the presenters) should intervene and stop it. I have tried to explain to her that they can't.

Zomerset, I was up at the crack of dawn, about 05.30. Okay So I'm a sad old man, but I think I caught the last one to fledge about 05.45. Saw one go in and two come out. There has been no activity since then. So I am pretty sure they have all gone. I will miss them!

There's a nest box with Great Tits down the Digbeth branch at the mo that seem to have been feeding young for a while now. I'm assuming it won't be long till they fledge too, but it has felt like a while.

Had the Heron again this morning, become a regular. Flying down the length of the branch and being mobbed by LBBG and a Magpie.

Also had 3x grebe/goosander-ish type birds over Moor St Station this morning heading North. Only caught them as they were flying out of sight but they were about the right size, long-ish necked and with (pointed-ish) wings set back at a rear-heavy end of their bodies. Certainly weren't the bog standard Mallards I'm used to on my commute.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back