• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reeves Pheasant in Scotland (1 Viewer)

Goldfynche

So typical! I wasn't even out birding. But driving along the road this afternoon beside the shores of 'Lake of Menteith, near the Inchmahome Priory, not far from Aberfoyle. A male Reeves Pheasant strolling along the roadside before disappearing into the woods.
I'd never seen anything like it before, and just knew it wouldn't be in any RSPB guides. So I resorted to my old faithful. the 'Collins Pocket Guide to British Birds" by Fitter & Richardson (revised 1966)
I even had my Nikon D200 with me, but it was too risky to try and stop to get a picture.

So typical! I wasn't even out birding. But driving along the road this afternoon beside the shores of 'Lake of Menteith, near the Inchmahome Priory, not far from Aberfoyle. A male Reeves Pheasant strolling along the roadside before disappearing into the woods.
I'd never seen anything like it before, and just knew it wouldn't be in any RSPB guides. So I resorted to my old faithful. the 'Collins Pocket Guide to British Birds" by Fitter & Richardson (revised 1966)
I even had my Nikon D200 with me, but it was too risky to try and stop to get a picture.

According to Wikipedia they are endemic to China but suffer from the loss of their natural habitats. I hope they will find a new home in the countries where they were brought for hunting and ornamental purposes with laws to be obeyed of the people in those countries.

One of our forum members here who is also acitve in other forums once told about a visit of some people who came from the same country as the Reeves Pheasant to visit the German city of Dresden. On a stroll through one of the parks in Dresden they came along a pond with lots of ducks swimming in it.

The eyes of the Chinese guests were almost popping out of their heads and they asked why no one obviously doesn't eat all those ducks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back