• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100-400 MkII Lens mount (1 Viewer)

James Thomas

Anyone else having problems with the build of this? I removed mine to allow easier fitting of some neoprene covers, since then it has been nothing other than a problem. When the knurled nut is unscrewed and the bottom part removed there is a small black plate fixed with four tiny screws, it can be seen here, ever since I removed the bottom part of the mount these screws have worked loose whenever the mount has been connected to a monopod leaving me with a camera that is wobbly - hardly the idea of a monopod.

It strikes me as an over engineered piece of kit that really doesn't come up to scratch and the design is probably made so they can try sell a range of footplates rather than provide a sturdy support for a weighty bit of kit. One of these screws has worked loose to the extent of dropping out and getting lost when I took the joint apart to re-tighten them (far too tiny). I made contact with Canon asking for a replacement screw but was very disappointed to receive an automated reply telling me to send it away, if I have identified the problem and solution why do I need to send a lens away?

For a screwdriver or spare screw try an optician. To keep it in, a spot of nail varnish on it when tight. Works fine with my glasses.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back