• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon Ef 400mm f4 DO Mk II (1 Viewer)

Brian Dunning

I was just wondering if anyone knew why this lens is so slow coming to the market? It will soon be a year since it was announced and it is still on back-order at major outlets (Adorama and B&H in the US and at WEX here in the UK). What supplies there are seem to be small and spasmodic.

Anyone got any clues?

Cheers,
Brian.

My understanding is the reason the 400 DO II's are so slow in getting to the marketplace is that Canon only has 1 or 2 technicians who hand-build each one, and that the optical components are much harder to form. The new DO technology is vastly more complicated than the previous iteration. Not sure if you remember but back when the vII 300s, 400s, 500s, and 600s were released, it took Canon over a year to catch up with the demand. FYI, those lenses are also hand-built but they are constructed by specific teams so there are more available...

Thanks for your response, Chris, I just find it odd that with such a fine product (according to the reviews) Canon are not trying to increase production to meet some of the demand. Looks like a waiting game!

Canon are probably busy filling pre orders at the moment.
Just a thought but I would wait a while to see how they perform in the field and for the price to drop a bit!
I too am very tempted by the new 400 DO but am a bit put off by it's price - when all is said and done it is just a 400 F4 despite it's technology.
Have you considered a Canon 300 F2.8 L IS Mk2? Cheaper and it works extremely well with both the Mk3 extenders.

The attraction of the new one is the weight though John. As we get older it doesn't half make a difference as we know and a potential 800mm lens weighing just over 2kg is a huge plus. There are Mk1's available though for half the price but there did seem to be widely differing opinions on performance etc.
I think I too would be waiting to see how things develop on both reviews and price. In a few years time I might be buying one to replace my bigger lens.

I owned a version 1 of the 400 DO for about 6 years, and despite lots of "differing opinions" on performance, mostly by people who either didn't own them, or who didn't take the time to work with its unusual characteristics, I loved the lens... it's a fine performer and delivered outstanding photographs. I sold it about 3 months ago mostly because I found that I just did not need the extra stop of light that it afforded and that I needed a little more flexibility in the field. I have since purchased a version 2 100-400 and it's a fabulous lens! Tack sharp, super quick AF, and unlike the version, takes a 1.4x converter...

Having tried a few of the Mk1 400 DO lenses the one thing I would never complain about is their weight!
My problem with the Mk1 version was the variability. I have tried 3 and played with a 4th. One was mediocre at best and pretty much useless with extenders, the next was much better and OK with the 1.4 Mk3 extender but not the 2 x Mk3. The other two were not tried with extenders but I am not sure they needed them! They were some of the sharpest highest resolving lenses I have ever tried! They significantly out resolved my (then) 600 F4 L IS Mk1 at the same range - yes read that again! 200mm shorter yet gave more detail! Unfortunately those 2 were overpriced otherwise I would be the happy owner of one.
From what I read the inconsistencies of the Mk1 are not present with the Mk2 and the IQ is supposed to be even better so it's looking like it's going to be a great addition to the Canon lineup. However at the price that Canon are asking I would think long and hard before shelling out my cash! I would certainly wait for more field reports.
Personally I would have been happier if Canon had just made a conventional 400 F4 as there are fewer design issues and it would/could have been cheaper without adding much weight - probably only a few grams heavier than a 300 F2.8 Mk2.
It's a pricey lens but it has a LOT of potential for the wildlife shooter who needs mobility or the old git like me who doesn't like lugging heavy loads!

There is one available at Simply Electronics. It will cost £4694.95 plus 20% import duties of £938.99. That makes a total of £5633.94. WEX doesn't have stock and is asking £6999.
S.E. offer a one year warranty with the option to buy an extended one for 3 years.
It would be classed as a grey import but that doesn't mean anything , you can still get any repair made by Canon. You might though find it difficult to PX it with a UK registered dealer should you decide to sell it in the future. That said, it would probably fetch a better price sold privately anyway.

Hello Dave, thanks for this information. I hadn't realised that import duties were due on Simply Electronics goods until you said. Since then I have checked their Terms & Conditions!! As far as I know, they are the only 'grey' importer offering this lens for sale so it really does look like a waiting game.

John - yes, I have considered the 300 f2.8 II and I would have bought one long ago had it not been for the weight. I agree with Dave, lugging around 3.5Kg (camera/lens/converter) is no joke, particularly as you get older (I get the State pension next year unless Dave & George decide otherwise!!).

Many thanks for your interest in this thread and your replies. I guess I'll just have to wait a few years when the price may have dropped/stabilised.

There is one available at Simply Electronics. It will cost £4694.95 plus 20% import duties of £938.99. That makes a total of £5633.94. WEX doesn't have stock and is asking £6999.
S.E. offer a one year warranty with the option to buy an extended one for 3 years.
It would be classed as a grey import but that doesn't mean anything , you can still get any repair made by Canon. You might though find it difficult to PX it with a UK registered dealer should you decide to sell it in the future. That said, it would probably fetch a better price sold privately anyway.

Stay clear of simply electronics,two friends of mine got stung.

Cheers.

Steve.B :)

Well, my Olympus Tough arrived today and at a considerably cheaper price than I would have paid in the UK ( their price has risen £15 since I ordered mine too.) I'm one happy bunny.
I should write a separate report rather than have it hidden on the Canon forum.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back