• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lifford Reservoir and nearby canals (1 Viewer)

Rob_S

Hi

Looking for somewhere to post sightings as a relatively new birder (3 years), hopefully I'll have something useful to contribute. Still on a steep but very enjoyable learning curve.

For the last few weeks, I've been doing a regular walk from Kings Norton Park, along a short stretch of the Worcs & Birmingham canal. and around Lifford Reservoir, whilst my son's at football training. Only an hour or so.

Yesterday's list:
Mute Swan (x 5 on the reservoir)
Mallard
Coot
Moorhen
Tufted Duck (around 15)
Great Crested Grebe (there has been a couple around but only one this week and last)
Pochard (x 1M on the reservoir with the mallards)
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Black-headed Gull
Chaffinch
Nuthatch
Blue Tit
Carrion Crow
Grey Heron
Feral Pigeon
Herring Gull
Robin
Blackbird
Goldcrest
Long-tailed Tit
Canada Goose
Woodpigeon
Magpie
Dunnock
Great Tit
Bullfinch

The reservoir was covered in a layer of muck yesterday morning, presumably run-off from the factory next door. Those who know it will know it's not the most pleasant of places, sandwiched between the tip and the factory.

Good list....especially like the Pochard.

Hope I can put this image on for people who have never been here.....looking towards the factory with the river and tip out of shot on the right.

Attachments

• 14991246_1987174724842590_4829716579341236736_o.jpg
    14991246_1987174724842590_4829716579341236736_o.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Thanks Keith

The top of those poplars on the left side of your photo are where the GSW usually hangs out.

Last edited:
Did this walk again yesterday late on. Similar list to above, with the addition of at least two Song Thrush around the football pitches in Kings Norton park and a couple of Collared Dove along the canal.

Walked back across to the car park as the sun was setting in the fog behind St Nicholas Church on Kings Norton green, with a male kestrel silhouetted over the trees. Atmospheric, to say the least.

A shifting low blanket of fog across Lifford reservoir late morning today. Much larger group of gulls on the water than usual. I'll readily admit I'm not great on gulls (yet) but I didn't see anything which stood out as being unusual - just BH, Herring and LBB. Half a dozen juvenile Herring gulls in both 1st and 2nd winter plumage.

Really need to improve my gull ID skills - any recommendations on how best to go about this?

Cormorant (x1) was a nice add for me for this site.

Across nine brief visits through Oct/Nov/Dec, this area turned up 38 species. Looking forward to seeing what turns up over the next few months.

Two cormorants present this morning.
One with a markedly white head - presume this is a male developing breeding plumage? And a much browner female.

Also a single male Pochard, and Kingfisher behaving more like a Bullfinch, perching in trees along the northern edge of the reservoir, flitting from tree to tree.

Two cormorants present this morning.
One with a markedly white head - presume this is a male developing breeding plumage? And a much browner female.
Also a single male Pochard, and Kingfisher behaving more like a Bullfinch, perching in trees along the northern edge of the reservoir, flitting from tree to tree.

Hi Rob, I saw the Kingfisher there this morning as well! Mega! I've looked a few times each year for the past few years. Never thought I'd see one there.

The solitary Great Crested Grebe which has been at Lifford all winter had been joined this morning by a male in handsome breeding plumage, a good sign as they bred here last year. Hopefully we'll have some more Dazzle Ships to enjoy.

Beyond that, just the usual - Mute Swan x 8, Tufted Duck x c20, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, BHG, LBBG, Herring Gull, Grey Heron, Woodpigeon, Magpie, Robin, Blackbird, Carrion Crow, Blue Tit, Great Tit

Great Crested Grebe nest building underway at Lifford this afternoon. Three birds present, two in close proximity around the nest and a third keeping its distance at the other end of the reservoir.

Around 15 Redwing in trees adjacent to Pershore Road in the football pitches part of Kings Norton park.

Storm Doris has brought down several sizeable trees in the woods between the park and the canal, including one which previously was a favourite of the local Kestrel.

Clearly nothing worth writing home about compared to some, but this little patch around Lifford has turned up 40 species already this year, and no sign of summer arrivals yet.

New for today - Buzzard and Greylag Goose

Black-headed Gull
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Bullfinch
Buzzard
Canada Goose
Carrion Crow
Chaffinch
Coal Tit
Coot
Cormorant
Dunnock
Goldcrest
Goldfinch
Great Crested Grebe
Great Tit
Greenfinch
Grey Heron
Grey Wagtail
Greylag Goose
Herring Gull
Jackdaw
Jay
Kestrel
Kingfisher
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Long-tailed Tit
Magpie
Mallard
Mistle Thrush
Moorhen
Mute Swan
Nuthatch
Pochard
Redwing
Robin
Starling
Tufted Duck
Woodpigeon
Wren

I was pleased to find the Kingfisher in the corner of Kings Norton playing fields. As I've never seen one there before but they have been reported. It then headed towards Lifford Res.
Then when I was checking out Lifford Res, I was in the corner on the Rea towards Stirchley, when a bird came flying fast through the trees, banking and I thought that's a Kingfisher. It then followed the Rea up the back of the res and I could clearly see it was a Kingfisher. I'm hopeful there might be a pair nearby as it's quiet near Wychall. Unless it's the third one I've seen further down towards Selly Park. Great!
(three of the ten Swans took off and flew around before landing again, which was pretty impressive)

Last edited:
Lifford, 10am this morning

Coot chicks on the water under the watchful eyes of both parents.
More Coots still sat on nests at various points.

Sadly the Moorhen nest which had been built in the most ridiculous spot imaginable - between two twigs sticking up in the middle of the River Rea - has been washed away. Last time I was there, it held six eggs.

Two Great Crested Grebe nests, no sign of hatching yet.

A solitary Swift high overhead.

Looks like spring has sprung in the last week.

Canada Geese on the canal with 13 goslings.

Newly-fledged Long Tailed Tits in the woodland across the canal from Kings Norton park. This patch of woodland also turned up an active Mistle Thrush nest, a Song Thrush vs male Blackcap singing competition in the top of the same tree, and my first Whitethroat at this location.

One pair of Great Crested Grebe chicks being ferried around on the back of an adult at Lifford. Sadly the other GCG nest which was there last weekend seems to have been abandoned, and I could only see three GCG on the reservoir rather than last weekend's count of four.

One adult GCG at Lifford this morning, with one remaining juvenile.

Plenty of Grey Wagtails around the reservoir.

Male Kestrel hunting along the trees at the northern edge of Kings Norton Playing Fields this morning. Saw it dive for prey twice in less than half an hour.

Buzzard circling overhead.

The usual suspects at Lifford.
Great Crested Grebe - 4 adults, 1 rapidly-growing juvenile.
Coot still sat on a nest at the northern end of the reservoir.

4.30 PM....

Great Crested Grebe....only saw 3 adult and 1 chick....

Angler says had 2 dead Field mice floating in Resa ....thinks poisoned after "they" cleared up trees etc alongside river.
He thinks this is also to blame for not seeing "hawk" along car park in day and Barn Owl at night.
Also on about there might be a road built between River and Resa to relieve congestion on Lifford Lane.....

Attachments

• Canon 2017 JULY 3 A 030 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 JULY 3 A 030 A.jpg
    660.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Canon 2017 JULY 3 A 036 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 JULY 3 A 036 A.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 181
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back