• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding at Loch of Kinnordy (1 Viewer)

Kinnordy loch has tripled in size for the time being!! I went up for a couple of hours today to find the endless rain had taken its toll, not that the ducks would complain. They are able to get to many areas they probably wouldn't usually go. I did manage to get to the gallery hide, but forget about the swamp hide. The water is over the boardwalk and impossible to see where it is. The east hide is only accessible with wells as the water comes up to the second step. As i approached the east hide, without wells, Gus came out of the hide and the water nearly went over the top of his wells.
From the gallery hide there were teal, wigeon, mallard, goldeneye, tufties, gadwall, cormorant, goo sander and mute swans.
We sat for a while and then Gus shouted "Bittern", which popped up and dropped down again next to the lone pine tree. I didn't get to see it in time, but its good to know its still there. A few mins later, i spotted the drake Smew over at the far eastern side of the loch. It didn't come any closer and disappeared again. Long tailed tits, reed bunting, great tits, blue tits, coal tits, chaffinches, pheasants, common gulls, greylags, wood pigeon, blackbird, robin and crows were also seen.
As i said earlier, if you are thinking of venturing along to the loch, then please go prepared with wellies, just like i didn't!!!

I hope you all have a lovely xmas and that you get everything you wish for from santa. I will be back before the New Year.

Darell

Thanks for the warnings Darrel.

Happy Christmas and New Year to you and your family.

as Darell said in the previous post, please be careful if you are visiting the loch as it is currently well above the normal level, this makes some of the paths underwater.

Attachments

• flooding 064.jpg
    flooding 064.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 35
  • flooding 066.jpg
    flooding 066.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 41
  • flooding 067.jpg
    flooding 067.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 40
hoping to visit kinnordy thursday,the meigle area has some serious flooding at the moment,the surrounding area might have some good geese/whooper numbers ,hoping to fit this in on my visit if the bridge is still passable

Thanks Gus - a Happy Christmas and New Year to you and all readers of this thread.

It's lovely to know they're still there, thanks Gus. I hope you had a good Christmas.

Bongofury said:
I'm a bit of a lurker on this thread, hoping one day to get back to Kinnordy.

Merry Christmas, Delia, we should try and get another Bash going..I really enjoyed last January's.

Sorry, Steve, missed your post earlier. I hope you enjoyed Christmas too.

Bashes, yes.... we need some ideas for next year. Dreadfully lazy of us only fitting one in this year. Especially when you think the Yorkshire lot seem to have one every couple of months!

Cor... what a wonderful picture!

Welcome to the best thread on the forum EPJ.;)

Great photo.I think I was In the Hide,when you were taking the pics.Please don't say you seen the Bearded Tits,as that Is what I had travelled from Aberdeen In hope of seeing..!

No never saw today but here's the long range pic I got on Boxing day

Attachments

• IMG_7477a.JPG
    IMG_7477a.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Back