• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gretna starling roost - how many?? (1 Viewer)

Well at least the rain held off until we were back onto the coach at Gretna this evening. The weather turned really nasty on our return to Newcastle. Quite a breeze and the Starlings decided to perform on the west side of the motorway rather than the east, so views were rather restricted in contrast to my previous visit, but I can't expect a tip top experience everytime. We were just a little disappointed on behalf of group members who didn't get the chance to experience what we had on 14/01/09 although most seemed happy enough. However the birds were seen in great numbers once again although they did seem to fly low today and views were more distant. We assumed low flying because of the winds. Peregrine Falcon (perhaps 2) and at least 6 Common Buzzards seen. We did wonder whether the Buzzards might have had an effect upon where the Starlings roosted?

Interesting to see small flocks of Starlings rising from the ground near us rather in a manner that I have seen termmites appear, from no where!

Another very good day at Grune Point too.

Birding the Solway coast of D&G yesterday (Sunday), so dropped in at Gretna on the way home. After Brian's good reports, I was hoping for a good evening, but unfortunately, it was all rather disappointing. Starling numbers were lower than I've ever seen, and I would estimate only 30-40K. Mostly, the flock 'performed' low, well to the SW of the M-way, and as we were positioned at the layby, almost nothing was visible for most of the time. A few small flocks did pop back to see us ocassionally, but they were gone in moments.

I wonder if Saturday night's gales blew them away?

Eventually got my finger out a paid a visit this week. Great stuff. No sign of any gos or spawk but there was a single male perg and a buzzard :)

Just resurecting this old thread, are the Starlings still doing this large roost or is it a bit too early.

The reason I ask is that we will be going in that direction in the near future.

Some friends have just contacted me to say they visited roost last night and many thousand Starling put on a very impressive display before diving into usual roost wood (conifer plantation) on east side of minor road Gretna to Kirkpatrick Fleming (B7076)

Stewart

The roost is now one of the highlights of the winter months for me. As I live in Newcastle it's quite a distance to travel so any updates on this thread are be very useful, especially which side of the motorway the birds are favouring. Thanks to those who've been doing just that.

A question for regular visitors, do you think the services are the best option to hedge your bets if you're only going once? Do you get a decent view wherever the birds go down? I'm thinking of taking an RSPB group there again on the way back from a Solway trip in January. Last year, as Brian has said here, we were a little disappointed when we went to the layby but the main action was the other side of the motorway.

The roost is now one of the highlights of the winter months for me. As I live in Newcastle it's quite a distance to travel so any updates on this thread are be very useful, especially which side of the motorway the birds are favouring. Thanks to those who've been doing just that.

A question for regular visitors, do you think the services are the best option to hedge your bets if you're only going once? Do you get a decent view wherever the birds go down? I'm thinking of taking an RSPB group there again on the way back from a Solway trip in January. Last year, as Brian has said here, we were a little disappointed when we went to the layby but the main action was the other side of the motorway.

Hi Graham. I went several times last autumn/winter, and whichever place I decided to view from, the birds roosted elsewhere - very frustrating.

In my opinion, the best 'banker' is to park in the services, and walk back up to the bridge over the motorway. From there you have an elevated viewpoint, and should get good views no matter where they go.

I took some video from there last year:

http://www.birdforum.tv/members/action/viewvideo/1234/Gretna_Starling_Roost___Take_Two/

Steve.

In my opinion, the best 'banker' is to park in the services, and walk back up to the bridge over the motorway. From there you have an elevated viewpoint, and should get good views no matter where they go.
Thanks Steve, that was my feeling too but nice to have it confirmed by someone who's been many times. Great video, the best I've seen of the roost. The tripod makes all the difference.

A few pics from Sunday evening. We watched from the layby, and as usual, they foiled us by roosting well behind the services, across the motorway from us. Good spectacle all the same.

Attachments

• DSCN3035a.jpg
    DSCN3035a.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN3036a.jpg
    DSCN3036a.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN3037a.jpg
    DSCN3037a.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 68
I was also there on Sunday but gambled on the motorway services side and had very nice views. See this link http://www.vimeo.com/7545170

The video is quite big and may take a while to load but shows the same formations as Oncebittern's but from a different angle.

Neil

Starlings 2010

I know this is an old thread, but thought some new photos from this year's roost wouldn't go amiss. These were from Sunday evening, from the layby on the B7076. It was pretty busy, with 40-50 spectators, all getting a great display. First birds arrived at about 3.45, and it was all over at 4.25.

Attachments

• DSC00387a.jpg
    DSC00387a.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC00327.JPG
    DSC00327.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00298a.jpg
    DSC00298a.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00234a.jpg
    DSC00234a.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC00227a.jpg
    DSC00227a.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I never tire of seeing photos of this performance. Seems like the flock has built to quite a size. I'll be visiting again in the New Year.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back