• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mindshiftgear rotation bags - anyone has used them? (1 Viewer)

dalat

Switzerland
Mindshiftgear rotation bags - anyone used them?

Hi,

The http://www.mindshiftgear.com/ photo rucksacks look very interesting for birding.

Basically they have two compartments, the upper half is a normal rucksack accessible from the top. The the lower half can be rotated to the front and then transforms into a waist bag, holding stuff that needs to be accessed quickly without taking the rucksack off (like field guide, digiscoping kit, bridge cam, notebook). The waist bag could also be weared separately.

Downside is, they are really expensive. So I'd be interested to hear if someone has used them, before I take the plunge...

Regards

Last edited:
Hi dalat, I work for Mindshiftgear looking after their social media stuff... Just popped in to say hello - if you have any q's feel free to yell out. Also, we have a facebook page that you may be able to get some answers on, too, I won't link it (tips cap to forum admin) but you're welcome to PM me for the address.

Happy bag hunting!

Sime

if you have any q's feel free to yell out.

Hi Sime, wow, you found that post real quick, your marketing seems well organised ;)

I posted here because I'd be interested to hear about some experiences of birders, who bought such a bag themselves and used it in the field. If you are aware of such reviews, I'd be glad you could point me to them (I already know the reviews on the more known photography blogs and websites).

Also a more specific question: Does a full size spotting scope (e.g. a Swarovski 80 mm scope) fit in the upper compartment? Scopes are quite rugged, so no need for the photo gear insert...

Thanks!

I had a thorough look now at these bags in a shop. The large Mindshiftgear Professional and the slimmer Panorama bag.

Both are really well made amazing bags, which should be very useful for birders and outdoor photographers. The rotating belt pack feature works very well, the bags are of very good quality (to be expected, seen the price) and have a lot of well thought features. Especially the pro is packed with features and pockets.

I didn't bought one (yet), because for me, the Pro is too large and the Panorama is too small.

The Pro is really a huge bag, good for complete camera equipment and luggage for a long walk, even several days. A full sized scope fits (although a little awkwardly) in the upper compartment, a tripod can be comfortably attached to the side or the back of the bag.

However, the bag is a bit too much for me, looking mainly for a day pack (and its too expensive for me to buy an oversized bag).

The Panorama is a very nice day pack. It would be perfect for birding, if you move around in a car, where you have the tripod and the scope in the trunk, and then go birding with scope over the shoulder. The bag is then perfect to carry digiscoping cam or bridge cam readily accessible in the belt pack and rain jacket, food etc. in the upper compartment.

I mostly move around with public transport, so would like to be able packing the scope in the bag and attaching the tripod to the bag. A large scope defintily does not fit in the bag. A tripod can be nicely be attached to the back of the bag, but I'd prefer to be able to attach a heavy tripod to the side of the bag, so the weight is closer to my back. This is possible in principle with the Panorama, but not very comfortably.

The belt pack of the Panorama is also smaller than the one of the PRO, I had trouble to fit a bigger field guide (like the Collins) and a bridge camera (Lumix FZ 200) at the same time (it works, but not comfortably ). Could be a little larger.

So for me, something inbetween these two bags would be perfect. Now I'm not sure if I should wait them to bring out such a bag (no idea if this is planned), or go for the Panorama anyway.

Last edited:
I bought this one now, and had it out for a weekend already. I quite like it. Not sure if anyone is interested, if someone is, I can post some more info...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back