• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Race to learn has begun". (1 Viewer)

Konstantinos

Dear BirdForum Members:

I just discovered your wonderful forum thanks to a kind introduction by Mr. David Conlin. This Forum is truly a Birder's Internet Haven!

I am looking forward to becoming acquainted with you through your postings. After browsing through some of the messages in your Community, I have realized what a wonderful resource of knowledge you are to someone like me who is in the nascent stage of realizing a lifelong dream of professional (and personal) aviary conservation. I am always eager to learn the dynamics and better understand this wonderful world of birds!

I have lived in several countries on two continents and visited many others on four continents throughout my life. No matter where my journey has taken me, birds have always been a comfort to me. Witnessing their migration periods, nesting, and breeding of new generations always reassured me of the continuing thread of life that is so strong and yet so fragile at the same time. As a longtime observer as well as admirer of the aviary cosmos, I noticed upon recent reflection that their remarkable ability to adapt to different environments and changed circumstances had unconsciously provided me with the quiet reassurence that I, too, had the potential to adapt to the different cultures that I have gratefully lived amongst during my lifetime.

I moved to Tilos three years ago where I have been working to establish a Natural Park in order to save the island's unique environment and create a safe haven for the 102 different species of birds that call it their home. Tilos is the only island in its entirety, along with its 14 uninhabited islets, that is a declared Special Protection Area (SPA) for the birds. 26 of our inventoried bird species are designated as endangered and/or of exceptional international importance pursuant to European Union legislation of 1979.

The conservation road here has been a difficult but rewarding one; however, the support that I have received in my efforts by the majority of the Tilians and their Municipal Authorities has been invaluable. Without their support, I could not have faced the threats against my personal safety that a small minority of Tilos residents and Dodacanese island chain hunting interests have unfortunately felt compelled to deliver. I am pleased to announce that we are currently at the very threshhold of the official creation of a National Park and have actually commenced a three year aviary conservation program supported by the European Union.

In furtherance of the foregoing objectives during the preceding two year period, I had worked with our previous national representatives of the Ministries of the Environment and Agriculture before our May 2004 elections, to explain the financially sustainable methodology by which Tilos can become a successful example to all Mediterranean Island communities of how environmental protection, wildlife conservation and sustainable development can coexist. The resulting message that Tilos is very important to Europe and the rest of the World was slowly being received. The financial benefits of such feasible practices were compelling and persuasive. Since the new government took over this year, I was disturbed to hear from the new Administation of plans to attempt to reduce the SPA protection area on Tilos in order to fulfil the wishes of the regional and national hunting clubs. Tilos has enjoyed a 12 year hunting ban on the island by administrative decree which is due to expire shortly and which is not scheduled to be renewed.

I have taken steps to avert an imminent SPA reduction effort and renewed hunting for this season; however, this new conservation threat will require legal and scientific research on my part which I gladly undertake. I would like to thank David Conlin and the Members of Proact for their invaluable support of our efforts and all of you who answered his call to write to the General Secretary of the Periphery of Southern Aegean and express your opposition to reintroducing hunting on Tilos. I am preparing for an upcoming meeting called by the Greek hunting clubs and Govermental Authorities that has been organized by the General Secretary. I am arming myself with scientific and legal data but my best argument will be your letters of support of our efforts. Thank you once again!

To paraphrase the last page of Richard Bach's book "Jonathon Livingston Seagull", the bird is "an unlimited idea of freedom". There should be no limits to what we can do and, as for me with your help, my "race to learn has begun".

Warmest regards,

Hello Konstantinos,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

I am sure all BirdForum members will wish you well in your efforts to maintain what sounds like a wonderful wildlife habitat. I look forward to hearing more about your work.

Hi Konstantinos, and welcome to BirdForum. look forward to more of your post's.
bert.

Hi Konstantinos

I've sent a message supporting the hunting ban as requested. I thought it would make it more effective if I said that I was planning to visit Tilos with a group of friends, so perhaps I'll see you there next year! Keep up the good work.

Good luck in keeping the islands free from hunting, we could do with more protection on all mediterranian islands where our birds migrate through, the distress caused when all our songbirds get mist netted and killed makes all your efforts so essential, good luck from me and all likewise thinkers, If only all were so sane, thank you on behalf of the avians.

Thank you!

Dear Nina:

Thank you so much for your encouraging and kind words! They mean a lot to me.

I spend as many hours as I can watching the many bird species that we have on Tilos trying to learn from them. Part of my job is to put to practice the management strategy that scientists recommend for our natural environment. Most of the time, natural environment strategy is built on common sense but also on experimentation. We are starting a program of mountain terrace cultivation this year with drought resistant wheat. This is an experiment that is based on historical facts about the harmony that existed once on the island between cultural and economic activity and the environment. Common sense tells us that this experiment should assist in providing food for the large populations of the Chuckar Partridge that we support on Tilos (thanks to the 12 year hunting ban). In return, the abundance of partridge supports the extraordinary number of birds of prey that nest on the island. I have recorded three nests of Bonelli's Eagles, two nests of Golden Eagles, 140 nests of Eleonora's Falcons and my work has just begun. As I reported on another thread, I had my first sighting of a Sea Eagle two days ago. The high density of breeding nests of large birds of prey is surprising for such a small island (62.3 square km).

I would not have been able to carry on my work without the support of the majority of the local people and their Municipal Authorities. This is the first and only Municipality in Europe that banned hunting voluntarily. This is why also the national hunting clubs are so upset about what is happening on Tilos. They are afraid of the precedent that it creates. This is also why it deserves our full support.

Thank you once again.

Warmest regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back