• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron mm4 60 vs Celestron Regal ed II 65 (1 Viewer)

Nivado

Question:

Wich one would be the best choice of these two?
The Opticron would be with the Sdlv2 eyepiece and the Celestron with a Baader Hyperion.
Heared about the Celestron being quiet big for a 65.
Is that difference noticeably when comparing?
Wich brand provides the best aftersales and wich model has the best view?

Thx for any help!

Grtz Niels

I recently bought the MM4 60 (angled). Based on stats from B&H, the MM4 is 3" shorter and 21oz (630g) lighter, not counting eyepieces. It's not 100% clear if the Celestron stats include the eyepiece or not. If you add the eyepiece to the MM4, it's still ~330g lighter (assuming the Celestron stats included an eyepiece).

The other thing I noticed is the focuser is on the right side of the Celestron, whereas the MM4 is in the top middle. This lets me "drive" the video head with my right hand and focus with my left. I'm not sure how the ergonomics would work with the Celestron.

I bought my MM4 with the SDLv2 too, but based on another thread I saw on the forum (https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=372804), I found the discontinued 32x eyepiece and use that pretty much all the time now. The very wide AFOV is truly pleasing to use.

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back