• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 7x42 T*P* - Rainguard/Objective Cap Recommendation (1 Viewer)

I have the same thing and used some Opticron parts.

* Opticron 43mm BGA Binocular Rainguard
* Opticron Rubber Objective Lens Covers 42mm OG XL Pair fits models with Outer Diameter 53~55mm

I think maybe the 37mm rainguard might fit better. The 43mm is a little loose, but stays on well enough for me.

I attached the rainguard with some sewing stretch elastic.

I just got my dialyt's back from a zeiss service (btw: fantastic turnaround - tuned it right up, cleaned, lubricated, etc...), and the 37 mm rainguard fits like a glove. Looks amazing. Still looking for a case.

I just got my dialyt's back from a zeiss service (btw: fantastic turnaround - tuned it right up, cleaned, lubricated, etc...), and the 37 mm rainguard fits like a glove. Looks amazing. Still looking for a case.

Great! I'm happy to hear that 37mm is the right side. Maybe I'll replace mine -- they are pretty loose. If I remember correctly, the turn around on my pair was also pretty fast.

Marc

After playing around with different accessories - I finally found a nice elegant and functional solution for the original rainguard - see pictures. Best part is the rainguard can be easily slipped off the strap when not needed. The strap is from the swaro habicht - one of the most comfortable ive used.

Also found a nice solution for a case for two binoculars (Peak Design).

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0420.JPG
    IMG_0420.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 67
Sam

Very nice binos and that rainguard is the best in the business. However I am sure that I have read on here a warning not to use metal connectors to the binos own lugs as the lugs can wear seriously. Don't forget that bino bodies are usually made out of aluminium or magnesium and these are not very hard-wearing materials.

Lee

Here is a method of attaching that Swarovski has used for years, before the new field pro.

The connector here helps with a ring provided. These were included with EL models for years.
And they would send them out with a phone call for owners.

Swarovski tired of replacing a binocular under warranty, that had a broken metal strap lug, when some were using a metal ring, a very poor idea. Using a metal ring is bad on a Zeiss also. :C

There are other vendors that carry a similar product. These make it easy to switch between a harness or a
strap, whatever you prefer.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSC_0210.jpg
    DSC_0210.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 62
I use a solution not unlike the one highlake shows. Incidentally the one I use is indeed a Zeiss product.
The objective covers from a Zeiss Conquest HD. are not the most efficient (or user friendly) device; they're flimsy and have a tendency to fall off. I'm not so sure how many people actually uses them. However, they come with a pair of very clever little clips (one each side) that come very handy for the purpose showed by highlake. In my EII 8x30 I use one of the objective clips together with a rainguard (in this case, also the Zeiss Conquest HD rainguard).
Whenever I'm trekking and there is the risk of my sweat, or debris from vegetation falling into the eyepieces, I keep the rainguard on; if I just want a quick look at something, I take the rainguard off, it hangs out of the way and eventually I put it back again when I resume the march. However, if I'm going to be stationary for a good while (or for whatever reason I want the rainguard completely out of the way; I simply click it off and it goes into my pocket/rucksack). I really like this solution: it's minimal, tiny and weights nothing.

I know this is an old post, but since I'm a new member and exploring the site......I am very interested in the connectors shown in Yarellii's post and picture, the ones that came with the Zeiss objective lens covers. Can you post a link to where these lens covers and connectors are sold, if still available? I'm not able to find them in my browser searches.

I know this is an old post, but since I'm a new member and exploring the site......I am very interested in the connectors shown in Yarellii's post and picture, the ones that came with the Zeiss objective lens covers. Can you post a link to where these lens covers and connectors are sold, if still available? I'm not able to find them in my browser searches.
Maybe you can write Zeiss customer service and ask them, I don't know of they do actually sell them as spares. However, there are several everyday applications where similar things are used. For example, for years I worked attending big exhibitions and congresses, and some of the typical conference lanyard to carry badges use very similar solution. Another idea is to look in the web/stores of smartphone accessories suppliers, since they also seems that kind of stuff. Hope that helps. I'm really happy with that solution. Lately I've made a slight change, instead of attaching the connector to the loop in the binocular, y tie it to the strap, so it's less in the middle when I'm not using the raingard, I'll try to post a picture next time I use the binoculars.

And here it is, as promised.
IMG-20210424-WA0035.jpg
I found that attaching the small connector to the binocular loop, when I wasn't using the rain guard I sometimes grabbed the small buckle between my hand and the binocular tube. Now it's attached to the strap, and it's just perfect. The rain guard can be removed in the blink of an eye.

And here it is, as promised.
View attachment 1381310
I found that attaching the small connector to the binocular loop, when I wasn't using the rain guard I sometimes grabbed the small buckle between my hand and the binocular tube. Now it's attached to the strap, and it's just perfect. The rain guard can be removed in the blink of an eye.
Thanks Yarrellii for the reply and posting the photo - that connector seems perfect and of the type I've been looking for with the very small but sturdy looped end. I've contacted Zeiss customer service but not heard back yet, and will post whatever information I find. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back