• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another plug for 7x42's (1 Viewer)

Adam C

Latest Lifer: Far Eastern Curlew: 11-2-07
Well after much searching and deliberating I finally got my hands on a pair of 7x42 Trinovid BN's in almost new condition for a really sharp price.

Stoked? Hell yes!!!!!

The size and fit in the hands is perfect. the focus is perfect and the optics are simply breath taking.

Owning leica and Swarovski 25's and 32's I finally feel like a reel birder!!! i actually love the bit of extra weight. feels like Ive got my moneys worth!!

I think the most amazing thing is the depth of field..just awesome!!

Anyway just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

Best buy I ever made~

Now to find that Orange fronted parakeet!!

Well after much searching and deliberating I finally got my hands on a pair of 7x42 Trinovid BN's in almost new condition for a really sharp price.

Stoked? Hell yes!!!!!

The size and fit in the hands is perfect. the focus is perfect and the optics are simply breath taking.

Owning leica and Swarovski 25's and 32's I finally feel like a reel birder!!! i actually love the bit of extra weight. feels like Ive got my moneys worth!!

I think the most amazing thing is the depth of field..just awesome!!

Anyway just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents worth.

Best buy I ever made~

Now to find that Orange fronted parakeet!!

Aren't they just wonderful! I have had everything and the 7x42 Leica BN's blow everything away!

Dennis

They are, indeed, a remarkable binocular! I am a longtime user of Leica's 7 x 42. I used the old Leitz 7 x 42 BA Trinovid for nearly 15 years until I upgraded it to the Leica 7 x 42 BN Trinovid when they were discontinued. I purchased a new one from Cabela's and saved about $500.00 off their original price. The DOF is really large. Focus adjustments are made merely by tweaking the focus wheel at virtually all distances. The "sweet spot" is huge, perhaps 85% of the view. Only my Nikon 10 x 42 SE has a higher percentage. The FOV is 420' at 1000 yards and that, combined with the aforesaid "sweetspot," makes for a stunning overview. It has a long, comfortable eye relief of about 22mm, ideal for both eyeglass wearers and those who don't wear them, like me. I can brace the eyepieces on my eyebrows and have no fear of blackouts like my Nikon 8 x 32 LX L gives me when I do that.

The 7 x 42 is a very versatile, and much underrated format. Indeed the 7x altogether is much underrated and sadly underused. Jerry Liguori states in his much praised book,Hawks From Every Angle at page 10 that he uses 7x for it's wide FOV and states, "When using binoculars to identify birds, emphasis tends to by placed more on shape and flight style characteristics.......In truth, skill level in identifying birds is more a matter of experience than of high-powered optics."
Good birding,
Bob

Last edited:
I have just come back from a day in the field pointing them at feathered objects!

Everyone's comments on these bins are bang on they are simply fantastic.

I spent a lot of time just scanning and the way your eye can just move around as though its your normal vision is awesome. I know it's been said before but it really is just like being 7x closer (as apposed to that feeling of looking down a tunnel at one spot that some bins give.) Your eye is just so relaxed as it scans the wide fov and amazing depth of field.

I must agree the 7x42 Trinovids provide a truly awe-inspiring view. They, along with the FL 7x42s are probably my two favorite hawk watching bins. The depth of field, size of sweet spot and overall color rendition make them a pure pleasure to use.

Bob,

Once again it seems we are reading the same literature. I was just reading Jerry's book the other day and saw the quote you mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back