• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to scopes... advice on tripod (and scope) (1 Viewer)

pnw_hiker

Hello All!

I have found a Gitzo GT1542t tripod with a Manfrotto 500 head for about $350. Is this a good deal?

I do not have a scope yet. Going to get one! I am looking at getting an 80mm scope, leaning towards the Nikon Monarch or the Pentax PF-80. I have not had a chance to try anything out (may not really get to) yet, but will try to.

Will be an angled scope - to share with my shorter better half. Will this tripod support a 3.6lb scope?

Also, I do have an old Slik tripod I could use short term until I get a nicer tripod. It would not be something I would use on a windy day, but for some nice weather at the local park it would work until I got a nicer tripod.

Thanks much, Bill

Hi,

the price is probably ok, but the legs aren't. They will reach a maximum height of 149cm and that is with the column fully extended, which is not recommended for stability reasons. With the column down it's 116cm... which is way too low.

The max load is 10kg which is fine for a full size scope.

Joachim

Look (also) for the new 77mm-opticron - if it's so good as the MM4-60, just bigger, it's a very good choice. It's not listed on opticronusa, but on the GB-site, ask your dealer. You can read here, delivery in a few weeks.
I also think, that's the tripod is too low with cc down, plus it's a four section tripod of the 1XXX-series, so the lower sections are far too thin. I'm using the series 2 (2532S-systematic) and series 3 (3530, w/cc), both with three sections, and the 2532 is the minimum for my 85mm-scope. The head would be ok, also a used 701HDV is strong enough for the 77 (I used the 701 many years for the 85mm). The price of the Gitzo together with the head is very low - too low in my opinion. You can buy it and trying to sell the tripod for 300$…

There are many useful scopes in the named class (75-85mm) - look for your personal watching situations, a 80mm scope with the right tripod and head isn't a light setup.

good decision
Manfred

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back