• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clovis, NM (1 Viewer)

logan3m

Two that I am unsure about. The first one liiks like a flycatcher, but I can't see any wing bars, and the second and third looks like a cowbird, but I am not sure. Thanks!

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

Brown-headed Cowbird 1.jpg

Agree with fugl. And once you notice a Say's Phoebe you usually start seeing them all over the place.

I agree that the second and third photos are Brown-headed Cowbird. The flycatcher, however, is not a Say's Phoebe. Notice the large hooked nail on the tip of the bill. That takes it out of the realm of phoebes and places it squarely in land of kingbirds. The head shape, shape of the folded primaries, paleness of the throat, head pattern with a slightly darkened area below and behind the eye, paleness of the throat, and overall color suggest Western Kingbird rather than a Say's Phoebe.

I agree that the second and third photos are Brown-headed Cowbird. The flycatcher, however, is not a Say's Phoebe. Notice the large hooked nail on the tip of the bill. That takes it out of the realm of phoebes and places it squarely in land of kingbirds. The head shape, shape of the folded primaries, paleness of the throat, head pattern with a slightly darkened area below and behind the eye, paleness of the throat, and overall color suggest Western Kingbird rather than a Say's Phoebe.

On second look agree with this.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back