• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Fair 2018 (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Day One at Bird Fair was spent doing recorded interviews and having meetings plus some vital shopping for waterproof jackets to replace our old and battered and leaky ones.

But I did get the chance to visit the Nikon stand:

I tried the Monarch 8x30 wearing spectacles and found eye placement to be critical for me. If I got it wrong I got glare-like crescents. Without spectacles the small diameter eyecups required the MOLCET technique otherwise they sank too deeply into my eyesockets causing all kinds of viewing issues. The view was nice as far as I could see it but frankly I didn't persist with it.

Nikon HG 8x42 was as impressive as always and has a classy appearance and feel in the hand.

I also tried the Monarch scope but in very crowded conditions so it was impossible to settle down and assess the view. I will try to get another go with it today or tomorrow.

As far as an EDG replacement goes there was no announcement at the Fair and the staff on the stand gave the expected response of 'we can't discuss possible future new products'.

Hopefully I will get more of a chance to circulate today.

Lee

"I tried the Monarch 8x30 wearing spectacles and found eye placement to be critical for me. If I got it wrong I got glare-like crescents. Without spectacles the small diameter eyecups required the MOLCET technique otherwise they sank too deeply into my eyesockets causing all kinds of viewing issues. The view was nice as far as I could see it but frankly I didn't persist with it."

I am glad somebody else had the same results with the new M 8x30 now I know it just wasn't me. I just tried a new Leica Ultravid HD Plus 8x32 and experienced the same thing with too short of eye cups. Maybe only a 1mm or 2 too short. Irritating because I could tell the Leica's had really nice optics with excellent contrast. My eye sockets are shallow and big in diameter I guess. Swarovski's are one of the few binoculars that have long enough eye cups for the eye relief for me.

Dennis -- you must have an even greater problem with eyecups than I do. The 32mm Leicas work for me, but the Ultravid 42s never have. Swaros do all seem to. I never had this problem until recent years when huge eye relief has become such a competition.

I can't understand why manufacturers don't pay attention to the range of depth (relative to eye relief) people still need in eyecups, due to anatomy. They seem so intent on accommodating eyeglass wearers that it's hit or miss for the rest of us. It's not rocket science: more eye relief requires deeper eyecups.

Dennis -- you must have an even greater problem with eyecups than I do. The 32mm Leicas work for me, but the Ultravid 42s never have. Swaros do all seem to. I never had this problem until recent years when huge eye relief has become such a competition.

I can't understand why manufacturers don't pay attention to the range of depth (relative to eye relief) people still need in eyecups, due to anatomy. They seem so intent on accommodating eyeglass wearers that it's hit or miss for the rest of us. It's not rocket science: more eye relief requires deeper eyecups.
I agree. I have shallow, big diameter eye sockets. The Swarovski 8.5x42 SV works the best for me. No blackouts and the eye cups rest perfectly in my eye sockets. Thanks, Swarovski.

I had the same eyecup problems with the M 8x30. Actually, many 8x32 are too-short eyecups for me. The only one I've found so far that works well for immersive viewing is the Minox BL 8x33 HD, though I've not tried the Terra or GPO yet, nor anything over $400 USD (in 8x32).

Day Two.

There were no major binos or scopes announced although Zeiss's Harpia is having a 'second coming' having been first announced at last year's Fair but is only now reaching the shops.

There is still no sign of SF 32 or, for that matter, Noctivid 32.

One of two members asked me to check out the build quality of the now made in China Vortexes. I picked up 8x42s from the Viper and Razor ranges and both had eyecups that at any of the intermediate positions were very easy to push down with my thumb so I suspect that they would not be reliable in these but they appeared secure in the fully up position. Otherwise, as much as one can tell from handling them, they felt decently built with sound hinges. I didn't care for the optics of the Viper but the Razor, I thought, was fine.

Meanwhile I returned to the Nikon stand but again I couldn't settle to assess the Monarch scope which had to be awkwardly positioned to see the lake. However I got excited because they had a WX on a tripod but I soon calmed down because the tripod adapter actually passed between the optical tubes which meant I could not close them together enough to reach my rather narrow IPD.

Meanwhile on the Zeiss stand, buried in their new 2018-19 brochure was the revelation that SF 42 does have Schott High Transmission glass in it. I can only guess that this was not publicised until now to avoid the SF treading on HT 42's toes but now that model has gone there is no marketing conflict.

Lee

Lee,
What is the minimum IPD for the Nikon 10x50 WX on a tripod?
Are Nikon making any more of these binoculars or are they just a limited edition?

A Nikon 12x50 WX would be nice.

I suppose that some here would just reject any binocular with a transmission of less than 90%, which costs more than $700, and isn't made in China.

Lee,
Are Nikon making any more of these binoculars or are they just a limited edition?

I suppose that some here would just reject any binocular with a transmission of less than 90%, which costs more than $700, and isn't made in China.

Just arrived home so not able to ask those questions, sorry.

Lee

Minimum IPD using Nikon‘s own tripod adapter is 58mm (with objective covers removed). Maybe 57mm or 56mm could be achieved with a slimmer adapter, but stability might then be an issue (Nikon‘s own isn‘t that great either in terms of stability).

Canip

Just arrived home so not able to ask those questions, sorry.

Lee

I got the impression they were a special production related to the 100 yrs of Nikon celebration. Whether they're easily available (or easy to try out) i don't know. Might be worth contacting Nikon to see who might be holding one?
They were definitely for sale (£6500 i think was mentioned)

Lee,

Binastro,

The Nikon website says of the 10x50: "This product is currently unavailable for individual sale." (which leaves the matter of whether or not Nikon is still making them open)

Apparently you can still order the 7x50 from Nikon.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/binoculars/wx-7x50-if.html

I couldn't find any info about the minimum IPD or any of the other usual specs we inquire about.

Bob

Last edited:
For Canip and Jerry

I was able to try the HG 42s (very nice) but couldn't get near the 30mm due to the crowds.

Jerry you asked about the retro-Trinovids and am waiting for an answer from Leica UK.

Lee

Hi Lee, Have you talked with a Kowa rep? I’m just curious to know how close the new Genesis are to being available. Thanks Paul

Hi Lee, Have you talked with a Kowa rep? I’m just curious to know how close the new Genesis are to being available. Thanks Paul

Hi Paul

Sorry to say that I didn't get a chance to speak to anyone on the Kowa stand despite walking through it several times per day. They were just so busy every time.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back