• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (3 Viewers)

Still an Ivory Gull sitting in a field in Germany counts as plus one just the same as one in Svalbard. By doing a year list, it is simply a numbers game.

Oo, I couldn't disagree more ...if I were going to all the effort of such a mammoth task as the Wp year list, I'd be looking to make it as memorable as possible in all aspects, i.e. not only trying to get the species, but simultaneously see the most dramatic places in the region. For me, an Ivory Gull to a backdrop of Walruses et al is going to be one of the highlights of the year.

Recent other options for the time:-
Black-browed Albatross
Grey-tailed Tattler
American Royal Tern
Amur Falcon
Elegant Tern

Alternatively Shikra in Azerbaijan (with possibly Caspian Tit) or some of the North Atlantic seabirds where there is a question mark on their timing later in the year?

They've decided to do it their way and this is not a criticism. It is the first attempt and a truly pioneering effort by three great guys with a fantastic happy go lucky and cheerful attitude. Maximum respect.

Still an Ivory Gull sitting in a field in Germany counts as plus one just the same as one in Svalbard and an Egyptian Nightjar pointed out to you by a Bedouin in Morocco counts just the same as finding your own at Jahra Outfall. By doing a year list, it is simply a numbers game.

All the best

Agree with all that. And definitly with the bit about this being hugely pioneering and a fantastic effort by them. Its going to be a very tough target to get near, let alone beat. Personally, i'd be spending this time going and looking for vagrants and seabirds.

Oo, I couldn't disagree more ...if I were going to all the effort of such a mammoth task as the Wp year list, I'd be looking to make it as memorable as possible in all aspects, i.e. not only trying to get the species, but simultaneously see the most dramatic places in the region. For me, an Ivory Gull to a backdrop of Walruses et al is going to be one of the highlights of the year.

+ of course visiting an iconic country like Germany ... ;)

Unfortunately 'central' Europe is not where the species diversity is in a 'numbers' game.

And I've just found out, that in two more years we will also have the privilege of counting Wood Duck. YAY!
I'm beginning to like the dutch way more and more...

In terms of money I guess you're right. But on the other hand there is not very much to do at this time of the year. A trip to Corvo in July doesn't make too much sense.

You can fly to Svalbard quite cheaply (£125 return from Oslo) and camp by the airport for next to nothing.

It would be amazing, and no doubt a highlight of any year. So do it in any other year ;)

Still an Ivory Gull sitting in a field in Germany counts as plus one just the same as one in Svalbard. By doing a year list, it is simply a numbers game.

Whilst I am aware of some year listers who appear to divert from the traditional approach of adding one for each new species seen or heard to get to a total figure, I still consider that traditional approach to be the only legitimate one to year listing. Walruses or no walruses. :king:

Did they try and see Polar Bear?

All the best

Whilst I am aware of some year listers who appear to divert from the traditional approach of adding one for each new species...

I wouldn't advocate anything but this, just saying I wouldn't see it simply as a numbers game, but an experience that goes along with the numbers. Svalbard would be in my schedule :t:

At the same time though, I would understand those choosing an approach purely based on the numbers.

Whilst I am aware of some year listers who appear to divert from the traditional approach of adding one for each new species seen or heard to get to a total figure, I still consider that traditional approach to be the only legitimate one to year listing.

I'd be seriously interested in that alternative approach. Maybe some weighted figures?

- Ivory Gull in Svalbard next to walrus = 2
- Half-dead Ivory Gull in german field = 1
- Swan Goose = -1 :-O

I'd be seriously interested in that alternative approach. Maybe some weighted figures?

- Ivory Gull in Svalbard next to walrus = 2
- Half-dead Ivory Gull in german field = 1
- Swan Goose = -1 :-O

So what weighting for seeing a Polar Bear from the inside? That'd really take dedication . . . 3:)

Ivory Gull finishing off what little of you the Polar Bear left behind :eek!:

You'd have to arrange for all this to happen as close to 31st December as possible, as it would then become a little difficult maintaining the momentum in adding new species on your yearlisting effort ...

(At least you could be your own ghost writer for the forthcoming and highly anticipated book of your superlative Big Year I suppose)

Last edited:
You'd have to arrange for all this to happen as close to 31st December as possible, as it would then become a little difficult maintaining the momentum in adding new species on your yearlisting effort ...

That's exactly where the alternative listing approach with weighted species figures is getting really interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back