• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (1 Viewer)

The raptor team out here stay working until 1st December. Rüppell's is seen at Cabranosa or around the wider peninsula mainly from late Sept-mid Novemberish, best time probably when the huge Eur. Griffons flocks are around; about 10th Oct or so till around early-mid Nov. In the last 3 years Rüppell's have appeared with the first small, single figure groups or even alone in late Sept-early Oct. Typically, I would guess that they occur every week in this period and sometimes in a series of days.....IIRC there has been a max of 5 different inds. in one season. I can't recall winter records in the Sagres area but the odd imm. has been recorded in southern Portugal any month of the year, and of course there's the usually resident adult bird that you know about at Portas de Rodão.

The bird at Portas de Rodão hasn't been seen for a few years though, unless I'm mistaken, so assume that's not a viable option for them.

Just stockchecked how many WP ticks they have put on me in their one year..... The answer was 78 on their listing approach and 68 on a Netfugl approach (including Pale Martin). :-C The 10 difference is either taxonomy or Category C species not yet on the Netfugl list. I'm not expecting more than say 5 more but depends heavily on Corvo.

Hoping to get a few back next year.

I'm getting their Netfugl total as 703 (including Pale Martin) being:-
717 less 16:-
Desertas Petrel
White-breasted Cormorant
Tundra Bean Goose
Swan Goose
Muscovy Duck
Yellow-billed Kite
Yellow-headed Amazon
Cyprus Scops Owl
Iberian Green Woodpecker
African Reed Warbler
Hume's Whitethroat
Mediterranean Flycatcher
Black-headed Penduline-Tit
Red-tailed Shrike (ie phoenicuroides distinct from isabellinus)
Southern Grey Shrike (ie meridionalis distinct from pallidostris)
Asian Crimson-winged Finch

Plus 2 = 703:-
Hudsonian Whimbrel
Thayer's Gull

Maffong - do you think that is right?

So at least I'm now confident that my WP list in 30 years of effort will stay ahead of theirs in one year of effort - just.........

All the best

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by the timing on Corvo:-

'Next week they'll be over 70 birders here.'

I wonder what will be considered the optimum fortnight once there is a sufficient pattern of records.

All the best

A week or ten days ago, given the number of things mentioned on this thread?

Suspect it'll vary quite a lot from year to year, and on what species you're hoping for.

News from Corvo today is Scarlet Tanager and Ovenbird so hopefully they have picked those up.

I think that if they had stayed in Britain & Ireland, they would have added Red-eyed Vireo, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Scarlet Tanager, Cliff Swallow, Cedar Waxwing, Wilson's Phalarope & Blackpoll Warbler. It will be interesting to see if the White-crowned Sparrow sticks but that would have been difficult & expensive even if it does? Would they have got Dusky & Radde's Warblers?

All the best

Late Corvo news on Birdguides: Scarlet Tanager in Lighthouse Valley; also Red-eyed Vireo and American warbler sp. in Ribeira da Ponte

Hope they know about the Tanager. Presumably the warbler sp. is one of the Blackpoll look-a-likes, not seen well.

Long time ago since the last update came from them! Are they just strolling in a big hole of missing Wi-fi or are they stuck in a serious birding hole??

Long time ago since the last update came from them! Are they just strolling in a big hole of missing Wi-fi or are they stuck in a serious birding hole??

News came out from Corvo yesterday of a Rose-breasted Grosbeak and today Belted Kingfisher on Flores with two Solitary Sandpipers on there recently. With fresh birders around this week on Corvo, you would expect some birds to have been found.

All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back