• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October/ November ? (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello,

I think about travelling in Namibia October or November.
It seems it will be hot from beginning of September.
For me interesting is Etosha NP and I suppose for bird watching the north east will be the most interesting.
How is the expirience is October or November recommended ?
Which birding places are the best ?

Alternative would be Botswana, but I think travelling is much easier in Namibia ?

Best regards
Dieter

Last edited:
Hello,

I think about travelling in Namibia October or November.
It seems it will be hot from beginning of September.
For me interesting is Etosha NP and I suppose for bird watching the north east will be the most interesting.
How is the expirience is October or November recommended ?
Which birding places are the best ?

Alternative would be Botswana, but I think travelling is much easier in Namibia ?

Best regards
Dieter

Hi, Dieter,

Namibia - You can self-drive throughout, with the exception of some of the coastal diamond-mining areas. Note, however, although Namibia's roads are well maintained, they are mostly dirt, and require care while driving. Punctures are common, and you should carry a minimum of two spare wheels with you if you intend driving on dirt roads. You should also carry lots of water, both for you and the car. October is a good month, for the summer migrants will have arrived.

Etosha has excellent birding, but you should also check out the coastal areas. The salt works a few km north of Swakopmund, and in the area of Walvis Bay, can be superb for waders, plovers/lapwings, flamingos, pelicans and the like. Sandwich Harbour, to the south of Walvis Bay, will require a 4x4 vehicle should you wish to go there.

Namibia has many specials, including chestnut-banded plover, Augur buzzard, white-tailed shrike, violet wood-hoopoe, Cinderella waxbill & Rufous-tailed Palm Thrush (up on the Cunene River on the border with Angola), Monteiro's Hornbill, Ruppell's parrot, Gray's Lark, Stark's Lark, Blackfaced Babbler, Bare-cheeked babbler and Tractrac chat.

You can see from the photograph of the Kokerboom - it's a tough country!

Many people in Namibia speak German.

I'll send you some separate information on Botswana.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• Kokerboom.jpg
    Kokerboom.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Walvis Bay.JPG
    Walvis Bay.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I forgot to mention, Dieter, have a look in Forums/Birding worldwide/Your local patch/South African Forum. There is some Botswana information in there.
Dave

Hi Dieter,
As Dave says, October is good for migrants as well as all the great birds there year round. If you're going to Walvis Bay, be sure to look for Dune Lark as well. If you're going on your own, I would suggest buying the Birdfinder for Southern Africa. It has all the info you could ever want and has everything you could possibly want.
I would suggest staying at Erongo Wilderness Lodge as well. Great near-endemics and absolutely gorgeous.
Try checking out companies like Tropical Birding and Rockjumper to see where their tours go.

Cheers,
Benji

hello,
Been reading about its apeal,it is a place I only dream of going one day.
all the best
moses-birding club of lake baringo

OK, Dieter,

I promised you some Botswana information. Since this is a Namibian forum I will post the Botswana information in Forums/Worldwide Birding/Your Local Patch/Southern African Forum. Go there and you will find it.

Best wishes,
Dave

Namibia

Hello,

thank You very much for all advices.
How is about accomodation ?
Is it difficult to found B&B or camping ground ?
Is it neded to book in advance and when how long.
I think about to rent 4x4 included sleeping place inside.
But maybe normal car is enough for this area.

I think about coast area, but mainly Etosha national parc.
Maybe Waterberg plateau and also the river area in the north east.

Best regards
Dieter

For accommodation in Namibia you can choose anything from high price luxury to rustic camping. There is no need to book ahead for camping in some of the more remote places, but I would suggest makings booking for the more touristed destinations such as Etosho. If you plan on staying at lodges it would be wise to book in advance.
Whether you need a 4x4 all depends on exactly where you plan on going. I have done much of the country in a small Tazz but I've also had an enormous number of flat tires!

If you have any question about particular destinations or are looking for me info on where to stay, feel free to PM me.

Cheers,
Benji

Namibia

Hello Benji,

thank You for the advices.

I already made an request to Etosha NP, but they do not response.

How is waterberg Plateau, rather touritic or remote ?

Best regards
Dieter

Hello
I have just got back from Namiba. I was not there on a specific birding holiday, but still saw a great many birds, including some of the endemics. I even had Rockrunner and White-Tailed Shrike in the garden of the hotel in Winhoek. I had a four wheel drive which I only really needed once when I drove down a dry river bed looking for Ruppell's Parrot (which I found). I had one puncture in two weeks which seems about standard.

Walvis Bay should not be missed. Amazing numbers of waders.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back